The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2011 Tournament Discussion Redux (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/65124-2011-tournament-discussion-redux.html)

SamIAm Fri Mar 18, 2011 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 741118)
The right foot became the pivot foot because that was the first foot to touch the floor by the airborne player.

You did not mention when the right foot was lifted from the floor after he took a step with the left foot.

If the right (pivot) foot was lifted *before* the ball was released on the dribble, it is a travel.

If the right (pivot) foot was not lifted before the ball was released on the dribble, it is a not travel.

(Not sure if you're a referee or not. If you, then you should know to include all crucial information!)

Used to officiate - quit due to time constraints just as I was beginning to get serious with it. I still lend my time to the local Upward (1st - 6th grade) basketball program.

Thanks for the correction. You spurred my to re-read the jumpstop rule (NCAA). I was incorrectly thinking there was some crazy jumpstop rule that gave him the extra step.

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 18, 2011 04:01pm

Did they show this on purpose?

With 4:47 to go in the Arizona - Memphis game this afternoon on CBS, the score was tied and an Arizona player gets called for a foul. The camera pans then over to Arizona HC Sean Miller to get his reaction and he's picking his nose! :eek:

grunewar Fri Mar 18, 2011 04:54pm

I always find that comical. Usually see it during baseball games with all the bored bench players and bull pen guys just a hangin out!

Jurassic Referee Fri Mar 18, 2011 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 741126)
I guess if they're twins.....

JRut and Lloyd Bengsten and Floyd Bengston are twins?:confused:

BktBallRef Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 741162)
JRut and Lloyd Bengsten and Floyd Bengston are twins?:confused:

Wouldn't they have to be triplettes?

BktBallRef Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:18pm

Bad BC call to start the UNC-LIU game.

Raymond Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:36pm

Early in BU/KU game Glenn Tuitt calls a basket interference or goaltending. Defensive player puts both his hands on backboard on either side of the basket but I never saw him touch the ball or the basket itself.

BktBallRef Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 741170)
Early in BU/KU game Glenn Tuitt calls a basket interference or goaltending. Defensive player puts both his hands on backboard on either side of the basket but I never saw him touch the ball or the basket itself.

LIU player bringing the ball up the floor. Straddling the division line, he batted the bll that was still in the BC back to his teammate. Doug Shows called BC.

BktBallRef Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:53pm

Chat is open...JugglingRef and I are there.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 18, 2011 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 741112)
No idea, Zooch.

But I can tell you that it was simply great yesterday to see academia win out.

Great, I tell ya!

I'm referring to the scholar/athletes of Kentucky narrowly besting the scholar/athletes of Princeton in their athletic contest.

If anybody missed it, the replay is on tonight....on Pros vs. Joes.

Trivia question for you...

Which team has the player with the highest GPA?

Berkut Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:39pm

BLOWNCALL|GIFULMINATION

I think this falls under my basic rule of contact when the ball gets swatted into the stands is incidental unless I think it is the contact that allowed the ball to get swatted into the stands in the first place.

I think this is an easy no-call.

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 741186)
Trivia question for you...

Which team has the player with the highest GPA?

Ohio State. Diebler's GPA is infinity. :D

BktBallRef Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkut (Post 741222)
BLOWNCALL|GIFULMINATION

I think this falls under my basic rule of contact when the ball gets swatted into the stands is incidental unless I think it is the contact that allowed the ball to get swatted into the stands in the first place.

I think this is an easy no-call.

Clearly contact on the shooter's right elbow before the block. Beats the hell out of me why people think such a play is legal.

Berkut Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 741232)
Clearly contact on the shooter's right elbow before the block. Beats the hell out of me why people think such a play is legal.

Because the contact was not the reason the shot ended up in row eight.

Also, contact is not necessarily a foul. And while it is clearly before the block when the play is slown down to about 1/4 speed, at full speed the contact and shot pretty much appear to be simultaneous. Certainly close enough to be considered essentially simultaneous.

Finally, look at the position of Williams hand *before* the contact - that ball had zero chance of going in the basket whether there was contact or not.

I am no NCAA official, but I am pretty uninterested in calling blocks like this a foul unless the contact is either severe, or very early, or it is obvious that the contact is what allowed the shot to be blocked to begin with (impedes the shooters ability to get the shot up and over the defender).

just another ref Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkut (Post 741234)
Because the contact was not the reason the shot ended up in row eight.

No but the contact clearly disrupted the shot, after which it was swatted into row eight.