The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 06:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow It's that time again - FED rule change discussion

OK - I'll start. Reduce by one, the number of non-shooting team members along the lane for free throws. That would give each team three players "close" to the basket for rebounds. Currently, the non-shooting team has two advantages - they occupy the two closest spots to the basket and they have one more player in close vicinity to the basket than the shooting team. I think one advantage is enough.

You can make the case that the shooting team has a big advantage (they are the only team that can score points on the free throws being taken) and it's fair to "balance it out" by giving the non-shooting team something in return, but remember - the non-shooting team did something wrong to cause the free throws in the first place so any "advantage" given back to them should be minimal.

OK - NEXT.....
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 06:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

On the topic of free throws, allow players to enter the lane on the release.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2011, 10:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's what happens when we mention Mr. Estevez.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Time outs !!

Only players can request a time out.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
That's a pipe dream...will never happen.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welpe View Post
on the topic of free throws, allow players to enter the lane on the release.
+1
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 06:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm in for entering on the release, and having just 5 in the lane.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

When a held ball occurs near the end (TBD, but perhaps within the last 2 seconds) of the first three quarters, give the team with the arrow the option of inbounding the ball, or declaring the quarter over and starting the next quarter with the AP throw-in.

As it stands now, most held balls near the end of the quarter just mean "losing the arrow"
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 07:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When a held ball occurs near the end (TBD, but perhaps within the last 2 seconds) of the first three quarters, give the team with the arrow the option of inbounding the ball, or declaring the quarter over and starting the next quarter with the AP throw-in.

As it stands now, most held balls near the end of the quarter just mean "losing the arrow"
No way. Then you are depriving the defense a chance to steal the ball and convert or get fouled.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand the comment about players being the only ones to call timeouts

and I never understood changing the rule on the free throws to begin with. It seems to have had an effect of losing the art of boxing out to some extent because they rarely have to hold the box out for an extended period of time.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach-rec View Post
I don't understand the comment about players being the only ones to call timeouts

and I never understood changing the rule on the free throws to begin with. It seems to have had an effect of losing the art of boxing out to some extent because they rarely have to hold the box out for an extended period of time.
To your first point, there are certain situations where it's difficult to ascertain whether a timeout should be granted when it's the head coach requesting the timeout. For some, eliminating the right for the head coach to request a timeout would solve this problem since players would be forced to ask.

To your second point, I believe the rule change was made in an effort to decrease the amount of physical play during such action.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I can see that point on the timeouts. Thanks

and I just don't agree on the physical play with the freethrows. I view that aspect of the game a bit of a lost art and there's no real place to revive it as a result of that change.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 08:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Totally agree. This is one of the silliest rules that they changed years ago. Or at least only allow the request from the coach to be during a dead ball or when play is not active (hard when live and dead ball the attention of the official will still be on the court).

Peace
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 09:12am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I like it.

Let's take it a step further, though. Should we start the quarter with 8:02 or 8:01 on the clock? (Nearly all clocks have this setting capability now.)
Old Thu Mar 17, 2011, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Not necessarily a rule change but what are your thoughts on giving the Trail official responsibility on free throws (either players along the lane or flight of the ball)? The Center official has to watch the free throw shooter, three players along the lane and the flight of the ball.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Closed Thread