The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   It's that time again - FED rule change discussion (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/65020-its-time-again-fed-rule-change-discussion.html)

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 16, 2011 06:03pm

It's that time again - FED rule change discussion

OK - I'll start. Reduce by one, the number of non-shooting team members along the lane for free throws. That would give each team three players "close" to the basket for rebounds. Currently, the non-shooting team has two advantages - they occupy the two closest spots to the basket and they have one more player in close vicinity to the basket than the shooting team. I think one advantage is enough.

You can make the case that the shooting team has a big advantage (they are the only team that can score points on the free throws being taken) and it's fair to "balance it out" by giving the non-shooting team something in return, but remember - the non-shooting team did something wrong to cause the free throws in the first place so any "advantage" given back to them should be minimal.

OK - NEXT.....

Welpe Wed Mar 16, 2011 06:12pm

On the topic of free throws, allow players to enter the lane on the release.

Adam Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:19pm

That's what happens when we mention Mr. Estevez.

Lcubed48 Thu Mar 17, 2011 04:22am

Time outs !!

Only players can request a time out.

APG Thu Mar 17, 2011 04:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 740639)

That's a pipe dream...will never happen.

GoodwillRef Thu Mar 17, 2011 05:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by welpe (Post 740575)
on the topic of free throws, allow players to enter the lane on the release.

+1

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 17, 2011 06:04am

I'm in for entering on the release, and having just 5 in the lane.

bob jenkins Thu Mar 17, 2011 06:53am

When a held ball occurs near the end (TBD, but perhaps within the last 2 seconds) of the first three quarters, give the team with the arrow the option of inbounding the ball, or declaring the quarter over and starting the next quarter with the AP throw-in.

As it stands now, most held balls near the end of the quarter just mean "losing the arrow"

Raymond Thu Mar 17, 2011 07:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 740651)
When a held ball occurs near the end (TBD, but perhaps within the last 2 seconds) of the first three quarters, give the team with the arrow the option of inbounding the ball, or declaring the quarter over and starting the next quarter with the AP throw-in.

As it stands now, most held balls near the end of the quarter just mean "losing the arrow"

No way. Then you are depriving the defense a chance to steal the ball and convert or get fouled.

coach-rec Thu Mar 17, 2011 08:09am

I don't understand the comment about players being the only ones to call timeouts

and I never understood changing the rule on the free throws to begin with. It seems to have had an effect of losing the art of boxing out to some extent because they rarely have to hold the box out for an extended period of time.

APG Thu Mar 17, 2011 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by coach-rec (Post 740670)
I don't understand the comment about players being the only ones to call timeouts

and I never understood changing the rule on the free throws to begin with. It seems to have had an effect of losing the art of boxing out to some extent because they rarely have to hold the box out for an extended period of time.

To your first point, there are certain situations where it's difficult to ascertain whether a timeout should be granted when it's the head coach requesting the timeout. For some, eliminating the right for the head coach to request a timeout would solve this problem since players would be forced to ask.

To your second point, I believe the rule change was made in an effort to decrease the amount of physical play during such action.

coach-rec Thu Mar 17, 2011 08:33am

I can see that point on the timeouts. Thanks

and I just don't agree on the physical play with the freethrows. I view that aspect of the game a bit of a lost art and there's no real place to revive it as a result of that change.

JRutledge Thu Mar 17, 2011 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 740639)

Totally agree. This is one of the silliest rules that they changed years ago. Or at least only allow the request from the coach to be during a dead ball or when play is not active (hard when live and dead ball the attention of the official will still be on the court).

Peace

bainsey Thu Mar 17, 2011 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 740651)

I like it.

Let's take it a step further, though. Should we start the quarter with 8:02 or 8:01 on the clock? (Nearly all clocks have this setting capability now.)

whistleone Thu Mar 17, 2011 09:25am

Not necessarily a rule change but what are your thoughts on giving the Trail official responsibility on free throws (either players along the lane or flight of the ball)? The Center official has to watch the free throw shooter, three players along the lane and the flight of the ball.