The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 04:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Rule change thread - for real, this time

OK - usually the desired NF change that gets the most support here is only allowing players on the court to request and be granted a timeout. Another, although it doesn't seem to get as much support, is having an exception to have team control after the ball becomes live on a throw-in. This would mean inbounding the ball from the front court into the back court (which is now allowed) would be a violation. Also, inbounding the ball in the front court, having it deflected (without establishing player control and therefore team control) into the back court by a teammate then having it recovered by a member of that same team, would also be a violation, which it is not now.

One I have mentioned in the past would be to do away with the automatic possession by a team that just shot technical fouls. I would support going to POI after the two (and I support leaving it at two) shots. My "argument" is based on having this part of a technical foul (shooting team gets possession) penalizes a team that was on offense more than it penalizes a team that was on defense for getting a technical. A team on offense loses two shots and possession while a team on defense loses only two shots, since they didn't have possession in the first place. I don't think there should be a difference in the severity of the penalty based on whether a team had the ball or not.

I remember someone - I think it was Camron - had an "argument" against this change. I think it was based on something to do with who usually got rebounds on missed free throws (not during a technical, of course) or something like that, in which he said there really wasn't a harsher penalty against the offensive team. I don't really remember since it was more than two minutes ago.

OK guys - let's go.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 04:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Time-outs requested by players only on a live ball would be very popular among officials, but getting the genie back in the bottle would be difficult.

I hope that, finally, players not returning directly to the court immediately after a throw-in would result in a violation.

I am fine with the T penalty in HS remaining the same. Unsporting conduct should carry a more severe penalty. And if a team is disadvantaged disproportionately, then they can be PO'd at the offender.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
OK - usually the desired NF change that gets the most support here is only allowing players on the court to request and be granted a timeout. Another, although it doesn't seem to get as much support, is having an exception to have team control after the ball becomes live on a throw-in. This would mean inbounding the ball from the front court into the back court (which is now allowed) would be a violation. Also, inbounding the ball in the front court, having it deflected (without establishing player control and therefore team control) into the back court by a teammate then having it recovered by a member of that same team, would also be a violation, which it is not now.
I think it would be better to go with the NCAA version, which is to have team control on a throw-in, but also have the same exception which allows the play in blue to still be legal. This would also allow us to call team-control fouls on throw-ins as well.

Mark, your play in red should still not be a violation either way, because the throw-in is coming from OOB, not the front court. Remember, it is not considered the front court unless the ball is actually inbounds; it does not matter where the ball is located OOB.

Quote:
One I have mentioned in the past would be to do away with the automatic possession by a team that just shot technical fouls. I would support going to POI after the two (and I support leaving it at two) shots.
I wouldn't have a problem with this either. I think the reasoning behind the NCAA going this route was to make the penalty a little less so officials would be more likely to make the call.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 05:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I have no problem with the head coach being able to request timeouts.

I do wish it was a technical foul, however, for coaches to assume that their timeout request at any time in any situation must be heard or they feel the can throw a crack at the officials who might have something else keep their attention for a split second or two.

All of my proposed changes would be on the mechanics side of the house and have no chance of passing.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 05:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
All of my proposed changes would be on the mechanics side of the house and have no chance of passing.
Please don't tell us you want mechanics for reaching and over-the-back fouls. Gee, maybe we should add one for the "up and down" violation.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Time out requests during a live ball must come from players.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

two rules - one mechanic

Rule 1: I would like to see the arrow switch when the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower. Would make it uniform when there was a foul or violation that the Team throwing "used" the arrow.

Rule 2: I agree that team possession should be established when at the disposal of the thrower. Just like the "flow" this creates and would be easier to administer. (keeping the BC exceptions as described above.

Mechanic: Two hand reporting of player numbers. I had the opportunity to work at the table for close to 48 games over two weekends, since our HS hosted the 2A and 3A regional tourneys and a few of the officials must work some women’s games and they would report with two hands. Made it MUCH easier for the table help to know who the foul was on in a loud gym or if the official has "busy" figures. . ( BTW it was a GREAT great perspective for an official, I recommend you try working/sitting at the table for few games and you will have a greater appreciation for the challenges that part of the officiating team has to deal with)
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Undershirts may not have sleeves which extend past the elbow.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 07:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Undershirts may not have sleeves which extend past the elbow.
Reasoning?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to move the 20 minute warm up period to 15. Officals need to be on the court by 10 minutes on the clock and line-ups must be in with 7 minutes to play. Kids don't need the 20 minutes. In a decent amount of games this year we had teams walk to their bench the last 3 minutes and just sit and talk want wait for everything to start.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
My wish would be a very minor mechanics change, instituting a mechanic for a hit to the head we can use while reporting a foul. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think it would help with communication. The general, all purpose "hit" mechanic is sometimes just that, too general.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 07:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Please don't tell us you want mechanics for reaching and over-the-back fouls. Gee, maybe we should add one for the "up and down" violation.
And one when one player suplexes another. And the "creeping death" foul, too.

No, I'd eliminate from the manual the silly stop clock on out of bounds violations and I'd have no problem with allowing more descriptive foul signals -- like hit to the head, trip, etc.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 08:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And one when one player suplexes another. And the "creeping death" foul, too.

No, I'd eliminate from the manual the silly stop clock on out of bounds violations and I'd have no problem with allowing more descriptive foul signals -- like hit to the head, trip, etc.
A foul signal for tripping would make sense. As would a pig pile signal for someone who jumps on a player when going after a loose ball.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 08:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
A foul signal for tripping would make sense.
+1

Comes up every year.......and makes sense every yr......
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

16 minute halves
timeout by players only during a live ball
team control on a throw in