The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 12, 2011, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

What should be POE for next year?

What rules do you think should be a Point of Emphasis for next year, or years to come?
One that I have in mind is Free Throw Violations....Either entering the lane too early or backing around a positioned player to gain a rebounding advantage. I think this is one rule that officials are overlooking too often...HS ball is starting to get too close to NCAA which is getting too close to the loosy goosy NBA... Or am I too much of a purist?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Can you pretend I am a fairly green ref (1 year of experience, two different times), with only basic knowledge of the rules (cause I spent more time teaching recreation league kids where to lineup for free throws than thumbing a rule book), and expand on the backing around a player portion of your emphasis?

I propose a POE be put on calling fouls when players are going for a jump ball tie up, when one player clearly already controls it.

I noticed in a couple college games this week that the elbow chucking POE caused ref's to blow the whistle on contact quickly if a guy tried sticking his arms/hands in long after possession was secured from a rebound. (hard to explain, apologies for that)....yada yada yada...I thought that made sense.

Stop the issue of elbow throwing before it starts.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 01:02am
We don't rent pigs

Traveling...........again. I agree with Bob Knight. Either call it or change the rule to fit what's happening. Tonight in the last 2 minutes of Louisville-UConn, I saw one that made me flinch. UConn guy caught the ball with his right foot on the floor, extended before putting the left foot on the floor, stepped toward the basket with the right, then lifted the left before releasing the dribble.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Traveling...........again. I agree with Bob Knight.

The only problem with that is Bobby Knight doesn't know what traveling is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Block/Charge
As in there are too many crashes with no whistles or that the block/charges aren't being officiated correctly?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
As in there are too many crashes with no whistles or that the block/charges aren't being officiated correctly?
There are a lot that aren't called correctly. I know several people just in my association that has called as many charges in 5 years as they've called T's(can count those on one hand).
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
There are a lot that aren't called correctly. I know several people just in my association that has called as many charges in 5 years as they've called T's(can count those on one hand).
You have a problem with your training of officials, not the rules. If you change the rule, you might still have the exact same problem.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 12:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sometimes You Just Have To Guess ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
As in there are too many crashes with no whistles?
Had this last season in a game while being observed by one of our best officials. As the new lead, this fast break "train wreck" happened so fast that I got "straight lined" for a split second and didn't get a good look to make the correct call, so rather than guess, I passed on it. My partner, as the new trail, was way too far back in the backcourt to offer me any help. The observer told me that, as the new lead, I just had to make a call here, and if I had to, to just guess.

Comments from esteemed members?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 13, 2011 at 01:22pm.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You have a problem with your training of officials, not the rules. If you change the rule, you might still have the exact same problem.
This is about POE not a rule change.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
The OP was thinking about POEs at the Federation level. Your association has their own POEs. And if some guys have called so few PCs that they can count them on one hand, they are either working games with 6-year olds, or I wouldn't want to work with them.

Heck, I probably have to call 5 PCs in 1 week.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
from my corner......

I would agree on the Block/Charge as a POE for the FED AND for our local training committee as well! I see too many officials call the block and I think it's a cop out.

I love giving that defender, who is playing good D, the call he earned!

I think the recent POE's on traveling and hand checking have had really good results though.

As we got later in the yr, even in our Rec League, when I would TWEET, often I would hear the coach say, "yep, you traveled" or "you gotta keep your hands off him."
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
What rules do you think should be a Point of Emphasis for next year, or years to come?
One that I have in mind is Free Throw Violations....Either entering the lane too early or backing around a positioned player to gain a rebounding advantage. I think this is one rule that officials are overlooking too often...HS ball is starting to get too close to NCAA which is getting too close to the loosy goosy NBA... Or am I too much of a purist?
Out of Bounds calls
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 07:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
And if there are a lot of block/charges not being called correctly...as you said, then training is the problem and a POE won't change that problem one bit. That was my point.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsquid View Post
Can you pretend I am a fairly green ref (1 year of experience, two different times), with only basic knowledge of the rules (cause I spent more time teaching recreation league kids where to lineup for free throws than thumbing a rule book), and expand on the backing around a player portion of your emphasis?
Player in middle position pivots behind player in bottom block to gain rebounding position, while the ball is in flight on a free throw attempt. I am seeing this more and more in HS ball.