The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

3 man; deep tip in BC

If the ball is tipped deep into the BC, shouldn't the U stay put and take the position of T with the 10 second count. The R would slide into the C and the L would rotate ball side. This is the way I have always handeled this. Recently I was asked if maybe I should rethink this mechanic to let the R go back and handle the T position. (This is not a when in Rome case, it was simply a question posed to me by someone I respect.) The latter seems so awkward. The way I have been doing it seems very smooth and seamless. I can't seem to find anything in the manuals that supports the latter view. Opinions please. Thanks for your help.

CK
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
If the ball is tipped deep into the BC, shouldn't the U stay put and take the position of T with the 10 second count.

CK
Not necessarily and not something I have done very often if ever. Do not see the major to do that unless the line is threatened on the end line. You could do that, but it is rare and not a big deal if you ask me.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jeff. It is something I have done on more than one occasion, and it seems and feels more comfortable to do it this way as well as it just looks better. I know it may not be a big deal (It is to me), but to bring the R all the way BC on a deep tip BC, when they are usually heading to the T position just seems awkward. Thank you for you input, I wanted to understand if their was anything in the manual or a general concensus that handeled this situation.

Thanks

CK

Last edited by CK; Tue Mar 08, 2011 at 12:12am. Reason: seem should be seems
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:25am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
If the ball is tipped deep into the BC, shouldn't the U stay put and take the position of T with the 10 second count. The R would slide into the C and the L would rotate ball side. This is the way I have always handeled this. Recently I was asked if maybe I should rethink this mechanic to let the R go back and handle the T position. (This is not a when in Rome case, it was simply a question posed to me by someone I respect.) The latter seems so awkward. The way I have been doing it seems very smooth and seamless. I can't seem to find anything in the manuals that supports the latter view. Opinions please. Thanks for your help.

CK
What you suggest makes perfect sense - but a threshold would be needed, such a foul line or below. But for those "strictly by the book" supervisors, you better do what the book says. To those sups who allow common sense, you're probably good to go.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

CK
Is there pressure or no-pressure?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

no-pressure in any of the times this has happened to me.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
no-pressure in any of the times this has happened to me.
That's the usual occurrence, I think. So, just use the standard mechanics.

It's not any different from a throw-in near the division line that is missed and bounds deep into the backcourt before A2 gets posession. The administering official goes back there (or, is responsible for the play).

If there was pressure, then I think the appropriate U would have to stay and officiate, and the other officials would just need to adjust.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's the usual occurrence, I think. So, just use the standard mechanics.

It's not any different from a throw-in near the division line that is missed and bounds deep into the backcourt before A2 gets posession. The administering official goes back there (or, is responsible for the play).

If there was pressure, then I think the appropriate U would have to stay and officiate, and the other officials would just need to adjust.
Agreed...that's the way I was taught to do it (many years ago)!
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

There are two options if there's pressure, IMO.
1. Do as the OP suggests.
2. Have the U stay back until the R gets into place to relieve the U.