The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

SAWBO-- Deep South in Raleigh

Just wondering if anyone else attended this camp over the weekend???
If so, what did you receive as far as impact on your game?
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I was there for the 2nd time. I am an old guy with average high school skills who is not going to be picked up for college, but I enjoyed the camp so much last year I decided to return.

For those of you who don't know about the camp, It is geared mainly for womens college officials trying to move up to the D1 level, or high school officials trying to get a look for college assignments. It is held on the UNC, Duke, and NC State campuses in conjunction with the Deep South Classic girls tournament. The evaluators are all assignors or D1 officials with impressive resumes (some of whom you see on TV every week).

I worked 10 games in 3 days with some fantastic officials and mostly good feedback.

I learned to adjust my calls to the strength of the teams playing. In one particular game, there were as many college coaches as parents and spectators present. We were told to have very patient whisles and let them play thru as much legal contact as they could. Those two teams were able to play thru things that would have completely disrupted a normal high school girls game. Its so easy to just call the obvious fouls and violations. Other games were more typical or one sided and I got to practice game management. My last three games went to OT but were decide quickly as the OT format called for a sudden death win for the first team to go up by two points.

I learned to be stronger in the C and not let the more college hardened officials take my calls from me and to step in closer as trail in order to be more able to help out on strong side calls. I also learned to adjust my position in the C on free throws in the college game where they play up on the blocks as opposed to below the blocks in most high school leagues.

Hey! I had a great camp, wasn't completely happy with my performance, but can go home and say I worked a game in The Dean Dome, Camron Indoor Stadium, Carmichael Gym, and Reynolds Gym all in one weekend!
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I was there as well and the environment was great. I had 10 games as well and all of them were top notch games. I even had 12 year old for one of my games and the play was outstanding. The big thing I learn was making sure I see the whole play. I did my best to blend with my crew and all of my games went great!
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
Hey! I had a great camp, wasn't completely happy with my performance, but can go home and say I worked a game in The Dean Dome, Camron Indoor Stadium, Carmichael Gym, and Reynolds Gym all in one weekend!
That's Carmichael Auditorium and Reynolds Coliseum.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
That's Carmichael Auditorium and Reynolds Coliseum.
I was overwhelmed, but knew I was in some famous basketball place in North Carolina.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
I was overwhelmed, but knew I was in some famous basketball place in North Carolina.
With those OT games you must be #206. It was good to see you out there.
Good luck back in Gloucester.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy
With those OT games you must be #206. It was good to see you out there.
Good luck back in Gloucester.
Hey, you nailed me! What was your number?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I was there as well and the environment was great. I had 10 games as well and all of them were top notch games. I even had 12 year old for one of my games and the play was outstanding. The big thing I learn was making sure I see the whole play. I did my best to blend with my crew and all of my games went great!
There were 12 year olds? The only divisions playing were 17U, 16U, 15U and 14U.
It was some pretty good ball as evidenced by the college coaching staffs in attendance. I received good feedback on positioning and call selection as well as having a patient whistle.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

I went to this camp last year and it was my first college camp ever and by far the best camp I went to as far as quality of the game, as well as the clinicians. Clinicians were extremely helpful. I also went to the SAWBO camp in Atlanta later in the summer, and there was no comparison to NC.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I went to this camp last year and it was my first college camp ever and by far the best camp I went to as far as quality of the game, as well as the clinicians. Clinicians were extremely helpful. I also went to the SAWBO camp in Atlanta later in the summer, and there was no comparison to NC.
Just wondering why there was no comparison. I was gonna go to the Atlanta one so I'd like more insight into how that one is and the value.