The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 10:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Which is all pointless when the announcer tells us, "Foul on number 22...*insert name*...his first. Team's 7th. Number 55...*insert name* at the line shooting two."

Then to add more to the "embarrassment" the scoreboard operator (I know this part is going to get CHS' ears up) puts that foul on the board and we a running count of all the "mistakes" every player as made in the game.

Those announcers and scoreboard operators sure are a "mean" bunch.
When I was wearing a microphone for a HS football game a few years ago, one coach said, "I don't mind you wearing that, (as if I really cared to ask his permission) but please don't embarrass my players by announcing the number of the kids when they get penalties." Now, HS practice is to *still* not do so, but I found it funny in the same way. We tell the whole world who fouls in basketball, but we have to relay the numbers by carrier pigeon (or umpire to wing) in football. Just silly.

Full disclosure: I called my first flagrant foul ever (24 years) this season. The name of the player was not in the article in the paper. Nor were the names of the players who committed technical fouls in the same game.

Edited to add: The first and last name of the player in my game is in the box score just below the article. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I used the boxscore to help with the report (saved me from digging out the game program).

Last edited by Rich; Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 10:49am.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Good catch, Gap.

Though, I don't know what Dear Abby has to do with this. The most productive thing I could do -- if any -- is simply email the newspaper. Instead, I chose to casually mention it here. That casual nature was lost pretty quickly.
Fixed it for you.

"casually" my azz. You claimed it was bad journalism.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 11:01am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You claimed it was bad journalism.
Like altering quotes?
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Like altering quotes?
I do enjoy it, thanks. I think it's comical when done correctly and properly acknowledged with a "fixed it for you."

Oh, wait, that's not what you meant, is it? You meant the following:

Quote:
You mean Like altering quotes?
Rather than this:

Quote:
Do you Like altering quotes?

Fixed it for you again.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I see no reason to omit the kids name. It's a sports story. Up here in Canada we publish the name of all players who get game misconduct penalities in hockey for much more egregious acts than this.

I would hazard a guess that many HS leagues and conferences publish their game sheets and reports online. Why not in the news paper?
This story is not about some misconduct penalty; it is about a player suffering a serious medical sports injury. The author of the story assumed editorial opinion by associating the foul to the medical consequences with the phrase 'cheap shot' in the lead. Was it a cheap shot? Was it a hot dog dunk by Etherington? Would Etherington have lost his balance without being pushed from behind? Regarding the foul, how flagrant was it? The foul was committed before the dunk but yet it didn't interfere with Etherington enough to prevent the dunk. Etherington lost his balance after the dunk. Emotions run high with serious medical injuries especially when mixed with phrases like 'Cheap Shot'. #40 is a juvenile under the supervision of his family and his school. Do I associate his and his families name with this emotional story which associates (in my opinion unfairly) his foul with the medical injuries? These are the factors I consider as editor and as editor I make the correct call and omit the kid's name.

Last edited by Dealone; Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 01:34pm. Reason: spelling word 'by'
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealone View Post
This story is not about some misconduct penalty; it is about a player suffering a serious medical sports injury. The author of the story assumed editorial opinion but associating the foul to the medical consequences with the phrase 'cheap shot' in the lead. Was it a cheap shot? Was it a hot dog dunk by Etherington? Would Etherington have lost his balance without being pushed from behind? Regarding the foul, how flagrant was it? The foul was committed before the dunk but yet it didn't interfere with Etherington enough to prevent the dunk. Etherington lost his balance after the dunk. Emotions run high with serious medical injuries especially when mixed with phrases like 'Cheap Shot'. #40 is a juvenile under the supervision of his family and his school. Do I associate his and his families name with this emotional story which associates (in my opinion unfairly) his foul with the medical injuries? These are the factors I consider as editor and as editor I make the correct call and omit the kid's name.
An absolute cheap shot. It was not a hot dog dunk...not even close. I doubt the player would have lost his balance but that doesn't matter...the fact is he did due to an unnecessary push. That play was an easy flagrant foul...no doubt about it...I think it was a bush league play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
When I was wearing a microphone for a HS football game a few years ago, one coach said, "I don't mind you wearing that, (as if I really cared to ask his permission) but please don't embarrass my players by announcing the number of the kids when they get penalties." Now, HS practice is to *still* not do so, but I found it funny in the same way. We tell the whole world who fouls in basketball, but we have to relay the numbers by carrier pigeon (or umpire to wing) in football. Just silly.

Full disclosure: I called my first flagrant foul ever (24 years) this season. The name of the player was not in the article in the paper. Nor were the names of the players who committed technical fouls in the same game.

Edited to add: The first and last name of the player in my game is in the box score just below the article. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I used the boxscore to help with the report (saved me from digging out the game program).
Yeah I never really got that...especially at the high school level, I think just about every kid can handle an announcement stating he committed a foul. If he can't, then he's got a tough life ahead of him.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 01:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Yeah I never really got that...especially at the high school level, I think just about every kid can handle an announcement stating he committed a foul. If he can't, then he's got a tough life ahead of him.
Or they learn to "play the victim".