The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Nice Ending

YouTube - Concordia University Portland 2011 Cascade Collegiate Conference women's basketball tourney champs

This was an NAIA Conference Championship game...both teams end up going to the National Tournament, so the win was for seeding purposes.

What do we think? I know the ball was out of her hand according to the LED light, but is this a case of some interesting timing?
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Embedded for convenience.

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

And that clock definitively started late. No way she can throw the ball off an opponent, catch and shoot like she did within .7 seconds.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

If you try to pause it a few times, the girl catches the ball with .7 still showing on the clock, it hadnt started yet. The ball reaches the halfway point to the basket with .1 showing
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the clock started a little late. It doesn't move until the thrower catches the ball, when it should start upon contacting the opponent's back. However, the timer did a decent job as he actually starts the clock prior to the Trial chopping. The Trail doesn't attempt to chop when the ball is thrown into the opponent.

I'd say the timing error is at most 0.2 seconds. That would have made the validity of the try extremely close to call.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

BTW is that one of the game officials at the table picking up her jacket following the ending or perhaps she was an alternate official sitting at the scorer's table.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 09:18pm.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 09:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I used my stop watch repeatedly and consistently got a reading of 0.90 - 0.95 seconds from touching B's back to A releasing. I bet PTS would have been better.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

At first it looked like one official is mirroring the L. Then I see that the L is showing his 5 count, and the official in the foreground has the chop. I don't know if it is possible or not for a player to bounce it off defender, get inbound, and shoot in .7secs.

What I do know is that the official was a lil slow on his chop, and then the clock was a lil slow getting started. I am wondering if it happened so quickly he didn't realize what the in-bounder had done. Either way, the shot was released before the horn/light and they ruled it a good basket. Definitely an interesting ending.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yes, the clock started a little late. It doesn't move until the thrower catches the ball, when it should start upon contacting the opponent's back. However, the timer did a decent job as he actually starts the clock prior to the Trial chopping. The Trail doesn't attempt to chop when the ball is thrown into the opponent.

I'd say the timing error is at most 0.2 seconds. That would have made the validity of the try extremely close to call.
I would guess closer to .3. Even if we go with .2, that leaves .5 left on the clock, and IMO she wouldn't have gotten it off in time. She shoots a regular jump shot and with .5 seconds left, there simply isn't time to do that...not with her jump shot.

Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 11:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
BTW is that one of the game officials at the table picking up her jacket following the ending or perhaps she was an alternate official sitting at the scorer's table.
Conference playoffs, so that was an alternate official.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Wow!

Well, Ive looked at it repeatedly and i say count it. its not but .1 second off from when it touched the girls back to when the clock starts. Human error/Reaction time is all part of basketball. Nice shot btw.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never seen a stand by/alternate official at the table without their CCA jacket on...strange.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
At first it looked like one official is mirroring the L. Then I see that the L is showing his 5 count, and the official in the foreground has the chop. I don't know if it is possible or not for a player to bounce it off defender, get inbound, and shoot in .7secs.

What I do know is that the official was a lil slow on his chop, and then the clock was a lil slow getting started. I am wondering if it happened so quickly he didn't realize what the in-bounder had done. Either way, the shot was released before the horn/light and they ruled it a good basket. Definitely an interesting ending.
The trail is late chopping the clock in...and it is a very lazy chop...the leads chop is also lazy...this is the time when we need really crisp and clean mechanics.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not familiar with 3-man. Is the trail supposed to be mirroring the lead's chop? The lead is counting with his left hand and his right is at his side. He then moves out of the camera range or is partially blocked from view so I can't see if he does a chop with his left hand, too. I don't see him do one with his right. As you say, the clock started before the trail does his.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 09:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
The trail is late chopping the clock in...and it is a very lazy chop...the leads chop is also lazy...this is the time when we need really crisp and clean mechanics.
So are you (and everyone else here) telling me that a throw in off the defender's back would be so expected that your chop would be right on that touch? I'd be fooling myself if I was confident I'd get that right on time.

Of course, the trail has the last second shot, so maybe as the T I would've been in tune better on that.

Either way, it was a great play by the thrower-in. We had one of these happen a few nights ago. I was the C opposite and I wasn't entirely sure the thrower-in established herself on the floor before retrieving the ball, but that wasn't my call to make (and I wasn't really looking there, either).