The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Nbe?

Why does everyone here refer to the NBA as the NBE?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

E = "Entertainment."
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Derogatory term used by those here that feel the NBA isn't "real" basketball but rather entertainment.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
Why does everyone here refer to the NBA as the NBE?
Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but to me the National Basketball Association is more about entertainment than sport.
certified Hot Mom tester

"National Basketball Entertainment", like "World Wrestling Entertainment". IOW - it's a comment on how the game isn't "real" basketball but just entertainment. Of course, the players are exceptional in their skill set - incredible athletes, but they "get away" with lots of no-calls because the purpose of the league is to "entertain" the fans first and foremost. The officials are also great, but they are "informed" as to how to call the game.

That being said, there's probably not a contributor on this board who wouldn't step up to work that league in a New York minute.
Courageous When Prudent

Remember the WWF? Now it's called.....?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
remember the wwf? Now it's called.....?
wtf?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
wtf?
Wait for it....
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Wait for it....
Doh! Should have been obvious. :smack:
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but to me the National Basketball Association is more about entertainment than sport.
I don't buy that...I just view it as a different game...just like the NFL is different than amateur play. And I would say the NFL has many rules/philosophies that are "entertainment" based.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I don't buy that...I just view it as a different game...just like the NFL is different than amateur play. And I would say the NFL has many rules/philosophies that are "entertainment" based.
What pro sport/league doesn't have some sort of entertainment basis?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
What pro sport/league doesn't have some sort of entertainment basis?
Well that's my main point. All major professional leagues in America have their basis in sport but with entertainment rules/philosophies/enforcement.

Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:42pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Protecting the quarterbacks is one thing that comes to mind. The NFL has a perception that people want offense. That's all well and good, but I don't mind seeing a good defense too.

I think it's more subtle in the NFL than in the NBA. The NFL has meathead football fans who get pumped no matter what. It's hard to be a meathead basketball fan, IMO.

You might say it's apples and oranges, but at the same time, the NFL is king for a reason. The on-field product is a better one than what the NBA puts out.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Protecting the quarterbacks is one thing that comes to mind. The NFL has a perception that people want offense. That's all well and good, but I don't mind seeing a good defense too.

I think it's more subtle in the NFL than in the NBA. The NFL has meathead football fans who get pumped no matter what. It's hard to be a meathead basketball fan, IMO.

You might say it's apples and oranges, but at the same time, the NFL is king for a reason. The on-field product is a better one than what the NBA puts out.
I can think of a couple of more...ALL penalties save for a few minor penalties are automatic first down. The most glaring example of an "entertainment" passed rule is defensive pass interference. Throw the ball short on a deep pass and you can get a pass interference a good amount of times. Compare that with the fact that offensive pass interference is hardly called. Also compare illegal contact...a penalty that only exists at the NFL level to promote the pass happy league we see today. There's a reason why the league made it a point of emphasis after the Patriots manhandled the Rams during the Super Bowl.

I couldn't tell you why most football fans don't care. I get the feeling sometimes that the NFL can't do any wrong in the eyes of the fan haha

Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post

The thing is, the real money is made "on the margins" from people who only care to watch an exciting game. You're going to be there no matter what, Johnny C. Lately, however, is more fickle with his dollars and time.