LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

carry= too cool for school.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
If both manuals say you should use a lanyard but your supervisor doesn't care you shouldn't care. So if my supervisor doesn't care if I wear white shoes it shouldn't matter...if my supervisor doesn't care if I wear shorts instead of pants it shouldn't matter?
Is that really a realistic comparison?

How about this? The NFHS manual says to report fouls with 1 hands. Some supervisors don't care so you have officials who do 2-hand reporting. Would I care if my partners do that? Absolutely not.

Would I care if my partner were shorts or white shoes? That's a totally different ball game we're talking about now.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it doesn't effect the game I don't really care. I work with some college officials that work pro or pro-am ball and you would never know if the had a lanyard or not...but we have had a rash of high school officials in our area that starting going without a lanyard and IMO after watching and working with them it effects their performance and communciation skills...not acceptable.
And this, beyond what supervisors and observers want, is the whole ballgame.

There are lots of officials who think that those who carry a whistle are showing off because, well, lots of guys (not saying a majority) who carry are indeed showing off. As with most things in life, the motivation underlying an act will significantly impact its execution. If you carry to look cool, then you're not going to get the maximum benefit out of the process. If on the other hand, you decide to pracice carrying for the purpose of slowing down, then there are definite benefits to be had.

I experimented for a while with carrying a few years back, and I'll admit that at the outset of that project, I was concerned more with style than substance. But after doing it for a little while, I realized that I was only going to hurt myself if I didn't slow down without a lanyard. After breaking through that barrier, I did indeed slow down on some things, and i believe I helped myself significantly.

FWIW, I broke my lanyard in a game a couple of weeks ago, and I went the last ten minutes without one. I could actually feel myself, and shortly thereafter the game, slowing down. Of course I could have run back into the locker room to grab another lanyard, but thought I could get by based on prior practice. Luckily I didn't embarrass myself.

I don't see any downside at all to practicing without a lanyard in rec games, just to see what it does to your game. If you don't like it, or don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't continue. But I would encourage anyone to be very, very honest with him/herself about going into a meaningful game without one. If your partners or anyone else can notice any negative impact on the game as a result, then you need to grab a lanyard, post haste.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If both manuals say you should use a lanyard but your supervisor doesn't care you shouldn't care. So if my supervisor doesn't care if I wear white shoes it shouldn't matter...if my supervisor doesn't care if I wear shorts instead of pants it shouldn't matter?
Getting a l'il carried away, aren't ya?

A supervisor usually sets a dress code. The lanyard might be part of that code. If it isn't, just ask the supervisor if he/she has a preference and proceed accordingly. What it isn't is a biggie imo.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Is that really a realistic comparison?

How about this? The NFHS manual says to report fouls with 1 hands. Some supervisors don't care so you have officials who do 2-hand reporting. Would I care if my partners do that? Absolutely not.

Would I care if my partner were shorts or white shoes? That's a totally different ball game we're talking about now.
Sorry...I wasn't being realistic.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Let me chime in on this matter. As if it will make all the difference in the world. One association I carry, the other I don't. All MS and wreck league games I carry. Why? Because I can, that's why. Am I slower? Probably not, more likely quicker and not as sharp on the mechanics, but definitely more vocal in those games, especially MS girls. I find MS girls games being vocal with the players and coaches is easier than sharp mechanics. So I carry to verbalize clearer to the players.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 03:31pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
Let me chime in on this matter. As if it will make all the difference in the world. One association I carry, the other I don't. All MS and wreck league games I carry. Why? Because I can, that's why. Am I slower? Probably not, more likely quicker and not as sharp on the mechanics, but definitely more vocal in those games, especially MS girls. I find MS girls games being vocal with the players and coaches is easier than sharp mechanics. So I carry to verbalize clearer to the players.
I am confused. I have a lanyard and spit the whistle out to communicate. Unless you're talking about live ball situations.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
One question you can ask yourself....are the officials who arent wearing lanyards getting games or sitting at home? That will give you a realistic view of what the supervisor(s) in their respective conference(s) think......just my 2 cents.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 03:58pm
Huck Finn

In Southern Nevada it doesn't matter if an official uses a lanyard or not (two hands either) unless it starts to become a problem with dropped whistles, reduced communication, etc. I received word about that around Christmas and sent out an email to our group.

I understand everyone has their peeves and some things aren't a big deal. Personally, I would like to donate $$$ every year and not wear pink whistles - or, wear them for a week or a few games. Again, this is just something personal to me; if I could get a pink Dolphin without CMG I would wear it all season and wouldn't care.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I am confused. I have a lanyard and spit the whistle out to communicate. Unless you're talking about live ball situations.
Even during live ball, you can take the whistle out of your mouth with your hand just like you would without a lanyard. I do it all the time. I have heard about not using a lanyard to "slow down" but never heard that it makes it easier to communicate. That makes no sense.

I know some guys who work the D-league and other pro ball and I would say the majority of them do not use lanyards. In my HS association the vast majority of us do use lanyards and are encouraged to do so by the Commissioner.

I have tried both but prefer using a lanyard at all times. I think it really is about personal preference and couldn't care less whether my partners wear one or not. For me, the only way I will go sans lanyard is if the assingor at the level I'm trying to advance to encourages it.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Carrying does seem strange. I think I'd use my football finger whistle before I carried.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Go ducks!

Hate sans. (fixed ) I personally enjoy wearing my Oregon duck lanyard when i do Rec games. But when i need to be a little more professional ill whip out my Smitty.

Last edited by ThatOneRef; Tue Feb 22, 2011 at 11:17pm.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneRef View Post
I personally enjoy wearing my Oregon duck sans lanyard when i do Rec games. But when i need to be a little more professional ill whip out my Smitty.
How does one wear an Oregon duck?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Go ducks!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
How does one wear an Oregon duck?
Florescent Yellow/Forest Oregon Clip Lanyard
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneRef View Post
You know that sans lanyard means without a lanyard right? And is there a reason you don't just go with a Smitty the entire time? Maybe it's just a regional thing, but the rec league assignors here (who tend to be officials in the chapter), make us look almost like we do in league games (save wearing slacks, wide panel shirts, jackets).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.