The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I guess because I played IM & rec ball, I got used to officials holding the whistle in their hands and hesitating to bring it to their mouths to whistle a call. That irked me. I cannot imagine not having a lanyard or smitty. But that is my choice. I don't chew gum during games, either, but many do. If it works for them, I've got no problems. There are bigger fish to fry.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Slowing down their mechanics is a bunch of crap is you ask me.
I wouldn't say it's a bunch of crap. Not everyone's brain and body works the same. Some folks might need that extra second to properly process everything that need to do after the whistle.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I don't chew gum during games, either, but many do. If it works for them, I've got no problems.
I've never understood chewing gum when you need to be able to blow a whistle. I just know I'd blow the gum into the whistle the first time I tried to call anything.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I wouldn't say it's a bunch of crap. Not everyone's brain and body works the same. Some folks might need that extra second to properly process everything that need to do after the whistle.
This is just a lame reasons people who spit (no lanyard) use to justify not using a lanyard.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Slowing down their mechanics is a bunch of crap is you ask me.
A bunch of crap in that it doesn't work? Or that they're lying about their motive?
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I've never understood chewing gum when you need to be able to blow a whistle. I just know I'd blow the gum into the whistle the first time I tried to call anything.
Some chew gum because they need it to keep their mouth from drying out. I've tried it and ended up finding a garbage can at the quarter break.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This is just a lame reasons people who spit (no lanyard) use to justify not using a lanyard.
I don't see how you can apply that reasoning to everybody who doesn't use a lanyard.

Guess I'm just not that cynical.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Landyard or Carry

The manuals(NHFS & NCAA) say you must wear a landyard. I think you should wear one when doing games. What you do in the off season is your business. When you are in the BIG TIME, do what you want. Otherwise, where a landyard...WANT-A-BE!

If it effects my partners' performance, I am sure the supervisor will tell them. If supervisors don't, oh well. I will not say anything until it starts hurting the crew.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsref View Post
the manuals(nhfs & ncaa) say you must wear a landyard. I think you should wear one when doing games. What you do in the off season is your business. When you are in the big time, do what you want. Otherwise, where a landyard...want-a-be!

If it effects my partners' performance, i am sure the supervisor will tell them. If supervisors don't, oh well. I will not say anything until it starts hurting the crew.
+1
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I personally like going sans-lanyard but I only save that for rec league. I have no reason why I do. Do I care if my partner goes sans or not? Hell no. Should a partner care? That's another hell no...especially if it doesn't effect how your partner works the game, but many do for some reason.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I personally like going sans-lanyard but I only save that for rec league. I have no reason why I do. Do I care if my partner goes sans or not? Hell no. Should a partner care? That's another hell no...especially if it doesn't effect how your partner works the game, but many do for some reason.
If it doesn't effect the game I don't really care. I work with some college officials that work pro or pro-am ball and you would never know if the had a lanyard or not...but we have had a rash of high school officials in our area that starting going without a lanyard and IMO after watching and working with them it effects their performance and communciation skills...not acceptable.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsref View Post
The manuals(NHFS & NCAA) say you must wear a landyard. I think you should wear one when doing games. What you do in the off season is your business. When you are in the BIG TIME, do what you want. Otherwise, where a landyard...WANT-A-BE!

If it effects my partners' performance, I am sure the supervisor will tell them. If supervisors don't, oh well. I will not say anything until it starts hurting the crew.
How about this: If your supervisor/assigner cares, follow suit. If he/she doesn't, then it isn't a big deal. Period.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
How about this: If your supervisor/assigner cares, follow suit. If he/she doesn't, then it isn't a big deal. Period.
That's pretty much true about anything we do.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If both manuals say you should use a lanyard but your supervisor doesn't care you shouldn't care. So if my supervisor doesn't care if I wear white shoes it shouldn't matter...if my supervisor doesn't care if I wear shorts instead of pants it shouldn't matter?
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If both manuals say you should use a lanyard but your supervisor doesn't care you shouldn't care. So if my supervisor doesn't care if I wear white shoes it shouldn't matter...if my supervisor doesn't care if I wear shorts instead of pants it shouldn't matter?
Pretty much boils it down.
The rules currently do not allow for an optional shot clock, yet some states adopt it.
The rules say the jackets need to be black, yet I've seen crews wear white jackets.
The rules don't allow for the foul-tip signal, yet....
What's the NFHS manual say about side-panel shirts? Gray shirts? I don't know, to be honest, but it doesn't matter because they were allowed by my local association for the first time this year. Those working playoffs, however, have been instructed not to wear them.

With this stuff, it really comes down to what's acceptable to your supervisor.