The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:42am
Archaic Power Monger

Season in the Books

I wrapped up my season last Thursday with a couple of boys middle school games. It was a rather bizarre night. The first game was fairly vanilla except for a technical foul called by my partner against a visiting player.

Before the ball is given to the thrower, the visiting coach requests a time out. I grant it and the time proceeds to argue with me that we can't have a timeout until the shots are taken. I essentially ignore him and continue on. He also managed to completely confuse the home scorer by telling her that the technical did not count towards a player's 5 fouls but to mark it anyways. That took a while to sort out and I still don't think he really got it.

Between the first and second game, things start getting weird. A visiting player from the first game comes up to my partner and asks "How much do you get paid?" My partner responds with "Tell you what, why don't you go sit down and not worry about it?"

Meanwhile, I head over to check the book and notice that the coach of the home team is the timer from the previous game. Turns out his wanting to argue while at the table was only a preview and he starts in on us right away...but only after the fans start complaining about a perceived missed travel or foul. I shut it down right away and diplomatically tell him that we'll call the game.

This game is a lot more physical and the visiting team doesn't seem as interested in playing as they are intimidating their opponents. We hit double bonus in the middle of the second quarter and the wheels pretty much came off the game after that.

During half time, the visiting coach is agitated but still polite and calmly tries to ask my partner a question about a charge he called. My partner cuts him off and tells him "Why don't you coach and I will officiate!" The coach, indignant at this point asks him "Can't I ask a question?"

"No, you can't, coach!"

"What chapter are you guys from?"

"Coach, I recommend you go sit down!"

I think I've turned about three shades of white at this point. I immediately turn around and check the books and make sure the arrow gets switched.

The rest of the game is a total hack fest, with me adding one more T to my total after a visiting player screams at me to "CALL THE FOUL!" I did, just not the one he wanted.

We called a total of three intentional fouls and two unsporting technicals against the visiting team in this game.

As the final horn sounds, I shake my partner's hand, bee line to the table for my jacket and run to the door while my partner headed to the locker room. Unfortunately I did get accosted by one elderly "gentleman" that asked if I was new? I laughed and ran to my car and was on the road before the fans had even started coming into the parking lot.

What a way to end the season.

Now it's time to resume the honey do list, starting yesterday with all day spent moving bushes and mulching the yard.

The one question I have is, should I contact my assigner about how my partner spoke to the coach?

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Feb 21, 2011 at 11:00am.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:57am
#thereferee99

Can I insert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
"No you can't coach!"
... the comma in this sentence where I want to?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 10:59am
Archaic Power Monger

Fixed it. The omitted comma makes it kind of funny actually.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Personally, I wouldn't for this. He was borderline inappropriate and completely unapproachable, but it doesn't sound as if it was unprovoked.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:17am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Personally, I wouldn't for this. He was borderline inappropriate and completely unapproachable, but it doesn't sound as if it was unprovoked.
Agreed. He just sounds like a "Get In, Get Done, Get Out" kinda guy.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd save calls to the assignor for real problems. This guy is just, as was mentioned, a GIGDGO partner.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:27am
Archaic Power Monger

That is kind of the way I was leaning. I think a quick explanation would have satisifed the coach but he didn't ask me. Thanks fellas.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:50am
M.A.S.H.

Ready to get on the diamond Welpe?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:54am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Ready to get on the diamond Welpe?
Not this season unfortunately though I'm finding with the warming weather, I am already missing the smell of fresh dirt and cut grass. Hopefully next year I can return.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
...I am already missing the smell of fresh dirt and cut grass...
You'll get that with a pitching wedge from about 120 yds out. Time to start spending some of those game fees on greens fees.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
You'll get that with a pitching wedge from about 120 yds out. Time to start spending some of those game fees on greens fees.
I'm guessing Welpe is going to be spending the game fees on diapers and baby wipes.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
Hoping I can hold out until golf season starts. It makes a great transition after the season ends.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:15pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Not this season unfortunately though I'm finding with the warming weather, I am already missing the smell of fresh dirt and cut grass. Hopefully next year I can return.
Hang in there... you'll be strapping on the gear before you know it!
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm guessing Welpe is going to be spending the game fees on diapers and baby wipes.
And little frilly baby clothes. Who knew that they outgrew their clothes so fast?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 03:34pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Who knew that they outgrew their clothes so fast?
Every parent, that's who!

Sheesh! Snap out of it man!!