The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Will probably never see it again

Haven't seen this in my short career, may never see it again...

BV game last night. Home team is considerably overmatched, but only 4 points down at half. Home has possession to start third quarter and runs a deliberate Princeton-type offense... for 4 four and a half minutes. They finally score on a layup. Visitors turn the ball over 30 seconds into their possession and Home team runs the offense again for the last three minutes.

Third quarter summary: 2 points, 2 possession changes, and no whistles! The quarter literally lasted 8 minutes. I assume I'll never see that again.

P.S.
We're thinking about how quickly this one's going to finish up. So, you know what comes next... game stays close and we have not one, but two overtimes!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 04:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post

BV game last night. Home team is considerably overmatched, but only 4 points down at half. Home has possession to start third quarter and runs a deliberate Princeton-type offense... for 4 four and a half minutes. They finally score on a layup. Visitors turn the ball over 30 seconds into their possession and Home team runs the offense again for the last three minutes.

Third quarter summary: 2 points, 2 possession changes, and no whistles! The quarter literally lasted 8 minutes. I assume I'll never see that again.

P.S.
We're thinking about how quickly this one's going to finish up. So, you know what comes next... game stays close and we have not one, but two overtimes!

BLS:

How can you keep us hanging? Who won? Inquiring minds want to know.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post

P.S.
That's one of the reasons why I like that we have a shot clock.

Ciao
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
That's one of the reasons why I like that we have a shot clock.

Ciao
One has to wonder why there wasn't closely guarded.

Rita
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 07:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

Rita
A Princeton type offense keeps the ball moving from player to player. Nobody is holding or dribbling for very long.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

Rita
A five second closely guarded violation is one of the hardest violations to cause. If a team has any point guard with speed, he can easily break the count.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 09:36pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This is what I think of when I think of a "Princeton-Type" Offense.

From WIKI - The Princeton offense is an offensive basketball strategy which emphasizes constant motion, passing, back-door cuts, and disciplined teamwork.

I guess this Team left out the "back-door cuts" for layups. That's why it was "Type" and not the actual product.

When run to perfection, I enjoy watching this kind of ball.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Not quite this extreme, but a lot of delay game happens with really high frequency in Maine. You get any sort of lead substantial lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter and losing team is not likely to get enough possessions to even work a come back.

Its a tactic and it works, as an official it makes life a little easier on my legs. As a basketball fan I want to smack everyone involved in games with high school kids where it is about the coaches and not the players.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:30pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Not quite this extreme, but a lot of delay game happens with really high frequency in Maine.
Actually, how'd this for a Friday night regional quarterfinal girls' score...?

25-9. Yes, that's a final.

Bottom line, the team who was behind was playing a 3-2 zone. Read on.

Here's the story. (The attached video is for a different game.)
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Actually, how'd this for a Friday night regional quarterfinal girls' score...?

25-9. Yes, that's a final.

Bottom line, the team who was behind was playing a 3-2 zone. Read on.
Similar one around here last Friday. Boys varsity, final score: 29-11. Visitors scored only in the odd-numbered quarters (and barely in the third).

Hudson Boys Basketball Team - cleveland.com
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Nice

wow, Never even dreamed of something that AWESOME! lol, howd you get so lucky? And thank god were not paid by the hour!
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not Chess ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
As a basketball fan I want to smack everyone involved in games with high school kids where it is about the coaches and not the players.
Respectfully disagree. Working a patient offense like this is not very easy for a high school age kid. Not many kids can pull it off. It takes skill, discipline, and patience. I will agree with you that it is difficult for the coach to teach his kids this, but it's also difficult for the kids to learn this. Exciting, probably not, unless you're the fan of an underdog team that works all week in practice to give itself a chance to win, and actually pulls it off on Friday night.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I still don't understand why people hate this type of thing. It's an additional tactic that overmatched teams can employ to try to stay even and possibly win a game. It's one of the reasons I'm glad my state does not use the shot clock.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I still don't understand why people hate this type of thing. It's an additional tactic that overmatched teams can employ to try to stay even and possibly win a game. It's one of the reasons I'm glad my state does not use the shot clock.
Well I hate the tactic. This tactic isn't basketball to me. If I want to watch this tactic, I'll watch clips from the 50's.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Well I hate the tactic. This tactic isn't basketball to me. If I want to watch this tactic, I'll watch clips from the 50's.
Some feel the same way about last minute fouls. To me, if a team is able to play keep-away for that long, more power to them.