The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Mid-Season Review

I just received my IAABO Sportorial. I want to talk about the 'Mid-Season' article and refer it to a post some time ago. The article states "The ball being pinned to the floor by one or two hands IS NOT player control". The post I am refering to is the one involving the Celtics player Rashon Rondo and the 'non-traveling' call. I made that same statement in my response in the posts. Just because a prone player is reaching out an pinnes the ball to the floor does not mean he is in control. Even though this article come at the end of this season, we need to practice ALL the concepts from this article in our future contests. Snaqwells, this article is my reference.
Why call traveling? It's the NBE.

Last edited by Zoochy; Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 02:11pm.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

There was some great stuff in there! I LOVE how they capitalized the information in regards to the act of shooting & when it begins. Hopefully we as officials READ & APPLY it!!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 03:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I just received my IAABO Sportorial. I want to talk about the 'Mid-Season' article and refer it to a post some time ago. The article states "The ball being pinned to the floor by one or two hands IS NOT player control". The post I am refering to is the one involving the Celtics player Rashon Rondo and the 'non-traveling' call. I made that same statement in my response in the posts. Just because a prone player is reaching out an pinnes the ball to the floor does not mean he is in control. Even though this article come at the end of this season, we need to practice ALL the concepts from this article in our future contests. Snaqwells, this article is my reference.
I hate to point out the obvious...but....nothing that comes from IAABO is an official ruling. What you're posting is an opinion.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I hate to point out the obvious...but....nothing that comes from IAABO is an official ruling. What you're posting is an opinion.
It is a ruling for those areas in many cases. If you are suggesting that everything "official" comes from Indianapolis that would not be the case. We get rulings all the time from Bloomington and they are often having nothing to do with things the NF addresses.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 03:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
You stated last May that:
Quote:
I do recall reading some time ago that pinning the ball is not control.
Now, 9 months after I ask for your reference, you're offering an IAABO magazine article?

First, this is obviously not what you referenced in that post, unless this sportorial is a year old.

Second, as JR notes, it's not an authoritative document from the NFHS. You may as well have referenced an article from referee magazine.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 05:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
When I was in VT, an IAABO state, the interpreter stated that pinning the ball to the floor does not constitute player control. What often happened was a request to Peter Webb and sometimes to Mary Struckhoff. From which source this interpretation came from, I am not sure. But, it makes sense to me that a player is not controlling a ball that is not being held or dribbled.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 05:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You stated last May that:

Now, 9 months after I ask for your reference, you're offering an IAABO magazine article?

First, this is obviously not what you referenced in that post, unless this sportorial is a year old.

Second, as JR notes, it's not an authoritative document from the NFHS. You may as well have referenced an article from referee magazine.
I got mine in the mail this week.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 06:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
But, it makes sense to me that a player is not controlling a ball that is not being held or dribbled.
Making sense is not necessarily a prerequisite of an official ruling.

Unless an interpretation comes from the FED rulesmakers or a state association office, it is only an opinion. And this particular play isn't definitively covered afaik. And that makes it a judgment call as to whether there was player control. Unfortunately, as per the linked old thread, the judgments differ.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 06:45pm.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 06:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Making sense is not necessarily a prerequisite of an official ruling.

Unless an interpretation comes from the FED rulesmakers or a state association office, it is only an opinion.
And I acted on that interpretation as IAABO is synonymous with officiating in VT. I have not heard anything official one way or the other since I moved.

4-12-1 A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball. There is no player control when during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

4-12-4 While the ball remains live, a loose ball always remains in control of the team whose player last had control, unless it is a try or tap for goal.

It appears that a ball being pinned is like a platypus.

Last edited by 26 Year Gap; Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 06:59pm. Reason: added rules
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I didn't bother with the original thread, and not sure why I'm bothering now, but I don't have player control if the ball is pinned to the floor without being held.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 10:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Well, I didn't bother with the original thread, and not sure why I'm bothering now, but I don't have player control if the ball is pinned to the floor without being held.
If it's never held before the pin, I agree.
If it's held up until the pin, I think it's continuous control just like setting the ball down to stand up.