The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 04:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile Even out the fouls?

A couple of current threads touch on the subject of coaches wanting the foul count to be somewhat even against both teams. Last weekend, I worked with a guy who told me this story. I love it.

He was working a HS rec game with a buddy and one of the coaches yelled at them at halftime about the foul count being uneven. It had been 10-3 in the first half. The second half starts and about 2 minutes into it his partner calls a foul on the "other" team. He then announces there will also be an offensive foul on the player who got fouled because they're now calling an equal number of fouls on each team. He then turned to the "complaining" coach and said, "There - is that better?"

Of course he didn't follow through, but apparently the coach got the message. I just wish I had thought of this first.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 05:46pm
In Memoriam

If a coach questions your integrity, simply deal with it without descending to their level. Whack immediately or warn'n'whack...your choice.

There is no upside imo in making smartazz remarks to any coach or player. All you're doing is opening the door for that coach or player to make smartazz comments right back at you. It's kinda tough to nail a coach for doing exactly what you're doing.

JMO.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic referee View Post
if a coach questions your integrity, simply deal with it without descending to their level. Whack immediately or warn'n'whack...your choice.

There is no upside imo in making smartazz remarks to any coach or player. All you're doing is opening the door for that coach or player to make smartazz comments right back at you. It's kinda tough to nail a coach for doing exactly what you're doing.

Jmo.
+1

It's all about professionalism. How can you defend an official who decides to stoop to the level of the coach? The answer is you can't. If a coach becomes an issue, you can never go wrong with the time tested method of warning (if applicable) then whacking. IMO, that official in the OP was just as in the wrong as the coach.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 05:52pm.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 08:05pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Besides, either the fouls are even or they are odd and the next one will make it even.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

I had a game once where we got to 14 to 1 in the fouls.

The team with 14 was shooting 3's and not getting fouled, while the other team continually drove to the basket.

Not much we could do....
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach questions your integrity, simply deal with it without descending to their level. Whack immediately or warn'n'whack...your choice.

Excellent call
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurposegamer View Post
+1

it's all about professionalism. How can you defend an official who decides to stoop to the level of the coach? The answer is you can't. If a coach becomes an issue, you can never go wrong with the time tested method of warning (if applicable) then whacking. Imo, that official in the op was just as in the wrong as the coach.
+2
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

JMO.
Rec games? Eh, I don't see the problem. Probably why I choose not to work them.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:44am
Go Blue

I heard a story, 2nd ot 3rd hand, of a guy in our association. Team A was up by 20 with about 2 minutes left. The foul count was out of whack in favor of team A. The ref began calling alot of fouls against A. B ennded up winning the game. In the locker room, the AD confronted the ref who said he had to even out the fouls. Needless to say, he is no longer with our association.

Just like you can have lopsided scores, turnovers, ect..., you can have lopsided foul counts.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I had a game where the home team was pressing and up 40-18 at the half and the also had the lead in fouls 10-2. The coached yelled at me that we needed to even up the fouls as we walked off the floor...I told him I would but I would have to even up the score also and we would start the second half tied. The first foul of the second half goes against him and he states..."Here we go again, it this the way it is going to be this half too?" Whack...foul count 2-0!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

JMO.
Agree, Don't lower yourself to their level. Nothing good will come of it.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I had a game where the home team was pressing and up 40-18 at the half and the also had the lead in fouls 10-2. The coached yelled at me that we needed to even up the fouls as we walked off the floor...I told him I would but I would have to even up the score also and we would start the second half tied. The first foul of the second half goes against him and he states..."Here we go again, it this the way it is going to be this half too?" Whack...foul count 2-0!
I'm on pins and needles. Did it go to 3-0?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I'm on pins and needles. Did it go to 3-0?
Same thing I wondered!! More, More!!!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quoted from a vet. ref in my association..."I don't count 'em coach, I just call 'em."