The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Did I call this right last night? It was a men's rec league game. A1 shoots and B2, setting up to rebound, hammers A2 and displaces him. I call a pushing foul on B2. A1's shot goes in. A1's shot was in the air before the foul. I counted the basket and awarded A the ball for a throw in. Coach B complained that the goal should not count or he should get the ball back since the goal counted. I think we were right in awarding A the two points and giving A the ball back on the foul by B2. Team A was not in the bonus at the time.

By the way, the game went three OTs and the first and second OT ended on a buzzer shot to tie it and send it to another one. Fun night.

Old Fri May 27, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Did I call this right last night? It was a men's rec league game. A1 shoots and B2, setting up to rebound, hammers A2 and displaces him. I call a pushing foul on B2. A1's shot goes in. A1's shot was in the air before the foul. I counted the basket and awarded A the ball for a throw in. Coach B complained that the goal should not count or he should get the ball back since the goal counted. I think we were right in awarding A the two points and giving A the ball back on the foul by B2. Team A was not in the bonus at the time.

By the way, the game went three OTs and the first and second OT ended on a buzzer shot to tie it and send it to another one. Fun night.

If the foul happened before A1 returned to the floor, then you should have called it on the shot and given a free throw. If A1 had returned to the floor, and A was not in the bonus, then score the basket and A gets the ball back.

What would Coach B suggest as a penalty for the foul if either the goal doesn't count or B should get the ball? Talk about weird thinking...
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, Juulie, I may have posted this wrong. A1 takes the shot but A2 gets fouled off the ball. The shot by A1 was in the air when B2 fouls A2 attempting to rebound.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming that A1 had returned to the ground before the foul you called it correct, at least under NFHS rules. If he was still in the air, score the basket and send A1 to the line for 1 free-throw.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao

If the foul happened before A1 returned to the floor, then you should have called it on the shot and given a free throw. If A1 had returned to the floor, and A was not in the bonus, then score the basket and A gets the ball back.

What would Coach B suggest as a penalty for the foul if either the goal doesn't count or B should get the ball? Talk about weird thinking...
Rainmaker, reread his post....A2 got fouled after A1 shot. Whether A1 landed is not important in this stich. :-)
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 01:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not sure what A1 having to come to the floor has to do with this?

You would call a foul on B2 and the basket would still count if the ball went in (if the ball was goes in as apart of A1's try). You shoot bonus FTs if A was in that situation. Or you take the ball out of bounds giving A the ball.

Peace
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

Rainmaker, reread his post....A2 got fouled after A1 shot. Whether A1 landed is not important in this stich. :-) [/B][/QUOTE]

Sheez, Chris, you're so picky. Who's got time for those meaningless, niggling little details?
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

Rainmaker, reread his post....A2 got fouled after A1 shot. Whether A1 landed is not important in this stich. :-)
Sheez, Chris, you're so picky. Who's got time for those meaningless, niggling little details? [/B][/QUOTE]

Niggling, Juulie?? What the heck is Niggling?

You called it right, Johnny. Your error in judgment came earlier when you agreed to ref the men's rec game.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Here are the rules to men's rec league:

1. Players and coaches should keep their traps shut.
2. See Rule #1