The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Rule Help

I know I know this, but my brain is fried. Can anyone help? If a player is injured and the team is out of timeouts, and has no players to substitute in what is the ruling. I don't have my books at work, I am thinking he or she must come out for a tick then can re-enter during the next play stopage. Am I correct?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 10:48am
This IS My Social Life

Yep

3-3-6
...unless the coach wants to "buy him in" with a timeout, with the rare situation possible in 3.3.6C
Hopefully the injured players four teammates can stall enough to allow him time to recover, unless of course he's been diagnosed by the AHCP as concussed, which is a whole different scenerio.

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Feb 14, 2011 at 10:52am.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Based on the precedent that the NFHS has expressed indicating having 5 is more important than sitting a tick; I'm not sure he should have to sit if he's ready to play before the clock starts. I can't find the case play, though.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Injured returning

I've been looking for this too for another reason and don't see anything, but I'm only looking at this years cb right now. Was hoping someone else might spot something in a previous year.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

It's in the anual interps thread.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

2000-2001 NFHS Basketball Interpretations

SITUATION 9: Team A is playing with five players, but has no substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor. Must the player leave the game? May Team A continue with four players? May the player return after recovering from the asthma attack?
RULING: A team may continue with fewer than five when there are no substitutes available. The injured/ill player leaving the game may return if/when he or she is able. (3-1-i)

2002-2003 NFHS Basketball Interpretations

SITUATION 5: Team A is playing with five players, but has no remaining substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor.
RULING: The player must leave the game unless a time-out is requested and granted to Team A with the player being ready to resume by the end of the time-out. The team may continue with fewer than five players if there are no substitutes available. An injured/ill player may return to the game after recovery. (3-3-5)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Interesting, looks like I was wrong. Player sits til the next opportunity to sub after the clock has run.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 06:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sit A Tick, Or Not ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Interesting, looks like I was wrong. Player sits til the next opportunity to sub after the clock has run.
You may be correct, but where does it say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The injured/ill player leaving the game may return if/when he or she is able. An injured/ill player may return to the game after recovery.
Maybe here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The player must leave the game unless a time-out is requested and granted to Team A with the player being ready to resume by the end of the time-out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)