The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62412-end-game.html)

cmhjordan23 Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:09pm

End of game

I know the philosophy is that a foul in the 1st QT is a foul in the 4th QT. 8th grade boys, 3rd place game tied with 5 sec left. Team A drives the endline (not very hard) and team B was in legal guarding position until he gave one of those hip checks. In the bonus, hits 1 and team goes on to win by 1. Coach didn't say much about it, but the fans were definitely on us. Saying that was weak. You hate to call a foul like that to decide the game but it is still a foul. I know the proper thing is to call it (my partners call), but would anybody let that go.

grunewar Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 729652)
.....but the fans were definitely on us. Saying that was weak.

And this is important, why?

The crew needs to be consistant. Either it's a call you BOTH would make at either end of the court or not. Period.

Either the player was hip-checked out of bounds or not.

jeffpea Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:37pm

at the end of the game, my only criteria is to make sure that it is a "solid" foul...marginal contact plays get no whistle from me...

just another ref Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:38pm

If the defender had the dribbler in a hammerlock, some of the fans would have said it was weak.

just another ref Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 729665)
at the end of the game, my only criteria is to make sure that it is a "solid" foul...marginal contact plays get no whistle from me...

Do "marginal contact plays" get a whistle from you other times?

Raymond Sun Feb 13, 2011 06:54pm

Quote:

I know the philosophy is that a foul in the 1st QT is a foul in the 4th QT. 8th grade boys, 3rd place game tied with 5 sec left. Team A drives the endline (not very hard) and team B was in legal guarding position until he gave one of those hip checks. In the bonus, hits 1 and team goes on to win by 1. Coach didn't say much about it, but the fans were definitely on us. Saying that was weak. You hate to call a foul like that to decide the game but it is still a foul. I know the proper thing is to call it (my partners call), but would anybody let that go.

Since the only reason you are questioning this call is b/c of the fans I'll go out on a limb and say it was a legitimate foul that required a whistle.

APG Sun Feb 13, 2011 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 729665)

Some would say that all your foul calls should be "solid fouls." Marginal contact plays shouldn't get whistles from you in the first place.

To the OP, you said it yourself, the defender hip checked a player out of bounds. If you believed the hip check disadvantaged the player, then call the foul. Fans will b**ch and moan regardless of what you call. Some fans expect everything short of a cross body tackle to be ignored at the end.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 13, 2011 07:12pm

Quote:

You hate to call a foul like that to decide the game

Why do you hate to call it? Would you have called it on the first play of the game.

Change it to "You hate for a kid to commit such a foul to decide the game..."

bainsey Sun Feb 13, 2011 07:41pm

Quote:

You hate to call a foul like that to decide the game but it is still a foul.

This statement is your problem.

One call never, ever decides a game. The totality of every single minute does.

Don't give into the myopic behavior of others.

cmhjordan23 Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16am

Okay I will reword some things. I never ever care what the fans think. Second, I had no probably with the call. Just saying if I were on the losing end, would hate to lose on foul like that because if it were my team, I would be mad at the player that he was out of position and he forced the official to call it.

cmhjordan23 Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20am

And the person I was working with at the time has a tendancy to not blow his whistle loud enough. Makes it difficult to sell the call IF it happens to be questionable to the average fan.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 14, 2011 07:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 729807)
And the person I was working with at the time has a tendancy to not blow his whistle loud enough. Makes it difficult to sell the call IF it happens to be questionable to the average fan.

Not to pile on but....

When did we ever have to sell a call to a fan? Or to a coach for that matter? The call sells itself if it's the right call. And that's all we should worry about; getting the call right.

JMHO.....

Raymond Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 729805)
... Just saying if I were on the losing end, would hate to lose on foul like that because if it were my team, I would be mad at the player that he was out of position and he forced the official to call it.

Don't even worry about that aspect of the game. You are no longer a player, coach, or fan. Be more worried about what your assignor/supervisor/observer/crew chief/mentor has to say to about the calls/non-calls at the end of the game.

tref Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnewsref (Post 729897)
don't even worry about that aspect of the game. You a no longer a player, coach, or fan. Be more worried about what your assignor/supervisor/observer/crew chief/mentor has to say to about the calls/non-calls at the end of the game.

+1

stir22 Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:00am

but the fans were definitely on us.

if you HADN'T called it, the other team's fans would have been on you.