The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

End of game

I know the philosophy is that a foul in the 1st QT is a foul in the 4th QT. 8th grade boys, 3rd place game tied with 5 sec left. Team A drives the endline (not very hard) and team B was in legal guarding position until he gave one of those hip checks. In the bonus, hits 1 and team goes on to win by 1. Coach didn't say much about it, but the fans were definitely on us. Saying that was weak. You hate to call a foul like that to decide the game but it is still a foul. I know the proper thing is to call it (my partners call), but would anybody let that go.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
.....but the fans were definitely on us. Saying that was weak.
And this is important, why?

The crew needs to be consistant. Either it's a call you BOTH would make at either end of the court or not. Period.

Either the player was hip-checked out of bounds or not.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

at the end of the game, my only criteria is to make sure that it is a "solid" foul...marginal contact plays get no whistle from me...
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:38pm
We don't rent pigs

If the defender had the dribbler in a hammerlock, some of the fans would have said it was weak.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:39pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
at the end of the game, my only criteria is to make sure that it is a "solid" foul...marginal contact plays get no whistle from me...
Do "marginal contact plays" get a whistle from you other times?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I know the philosophy is that a foul in the 1st QT is a foul in the 4th QT. 8th grade boys, 3rd place game tied with 5 sec left. Team A drives the endline (not very hard) and team B was in legal guarding position until he gave one of those hip checks. In the bonus, hits 1 and team goes on to win by 1. Coach didn't say much about it, but the fans were definitely on us. Saying that was weak. You hate to call a foul like that to decide the game but it is still a foul. I know the proper thing is to call it (my partners call), but would anybody let that go.
Since the only reason you are questioning this call is b/c of the fans I'll go out on a limb and say it was a legitimate foul that required a whistle.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
Some would say that all your foul calls should be "solid fouls." Marginal contact plays shouldn't get whistles from you in the first place.

To the OP, you said it yourself, the defender hip checked a player out of bounds. If you believed the hip check disadvantaged the player, then call the foul. Fans will b**ch and moan regardless of what you call. Some fans expect everything short of a cross body tackle to be ignored at the end.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You hate to call a foul like that to decide the game
Why do you hate to call it? Would you have called it on the first play of the game.

Change it to "You hate for a kid to commit such a foul to decide the game..."
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:41pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
You hate to call a foul like that to decide the game but it is still a foul.
This statement is your problem.

One call never, ever decides a game. The totality of every single minute does.

Don't give into the myopic behavior of others.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Okay I will reword some things. I never ever care what the fans think. Second, I had no probably with the call. Just saying if I were on the losing end, would hate to lose on foul like that because if it were my team, I would be mad at the player that he was out of position and he forced the official to call it.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

And the person I was working with at the time has a tendancy to not blow his whistle loud enough. Makes it difficult to sell the call IF it happens to be questionable to the average fan.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 07:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
And the person I was working with at the time has a tendancy to not blow his whistle loud enough. Makes it difficult to sell the call IF it happens to be questionable to the average fan.
Not to pile on but....

When did we ever have to sell a call to a fan? Or to a coach for that matter? The call sells itself if it's the right call. And that's all we should worry about; getting the call right.

JMHO.....
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 10:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... Just saying if I were on the losing end, would hate to lose on foul like that because if it were my team, I would be mad at the player that he was out of position and he forced the official to call it.
Don't even worry about that aspect of the game. You are no longer a player, coach, or fan. Be more worried about what your assignor/supervisor/observer/crew chief/mentor has to say to about the calls/non-calls at the end of the game.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 14, 2011 at 11:15am.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
don't even worry about that aspect of the game. You a no longer a player, coach, or fan. Be more worried about what your assignor/supervisor/observer/crew chief/mentor has to say to about the calls/non-calls at the end of the game.
+1
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

but the fans were definitely on us.

if you HADN'T called it, the other team's fans would have been on you.