The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Fans become overly rowdy

Had an incident tonight (had happen to wife while she was shot clock during 1st round playoff game tonight), where the whole of the visiting team seemed to throw sportsmanship out the window & no one did anything about it.

They were constantly complaining about every call, both for & against them, continually bad mouthing both the timer & shot clock & the floor officials.

The officials were buzzed to the table between the quarters & they did nothing even though the table crew was being verbally attacked.

Game Management tried to get things under control & could not.

Any suggestions on what steps should be taken?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Had an incident tonight (had happen to wife while she was shot clock during 1st round playoff game tonight), where the whole of the visiting team seemed to throw sportsmanship out the window & no one did anything about it.

They were constantly complaining about every call, both for & against them, continually bad mouthing both the timer & shot clock & the floor officials.

The officials were buzzed to the table between the quarters & they did nothing even though the table crew was being verbally attacked.

Fans or the actual visiting team itself?

Didn't you have your Taser there to take care of business? I thought you're the crowd control at CHS?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, in your case make sure you're not talking to the unruly fans. Any comments will be like gas on a fire!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Fans or the actual visiting team itself?

Didn't you have your Taser there to take care of business? I thought you're the crowd control at CHS?
I was at home due to not feeling good, otherwise I would of been at shot clock.

The fans & the visiting team both threw sportsmanship out the window.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Well, in your case make sure you're not talking to the unruly fans. Any comments will be like gas on a fire!
Loudwhistle, had I of been there (which I was not) I would of found a way to de-escalate the situation.

The visiting team does not have a history of being unruly.

Unfortunately from what I am hearing about the situation no one really knew what to do nor was the appropriate personnel asked to intervene.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Eagle,
I don't know how your gym is set up but stupid fan comments were the reason for our seating configuration.We close the bleachers on the west side and lay out tables and chairs for the benches and table area.The fans are kept out of our ears for the entire night.There is only one night we deviate from this setup-Homecoming.
As is-get through the night and talk to your administration in the morning.At my school 2/3 vice principals work our basketball games as shot clock and game clock operator.We always know who is in charge and there is adequate security should anything occur.It sounds like your people not knowing what to do is a lack of training among the security staff and supervisory personnel.At our school we would've stopped the game and dealt with the offenders either by removal or warning.This policy has led to some pretty interesting situations including once where a fan threatened to key our AD's car after being removed.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Simple...get rid of them...no refunds, sorry!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I believe you get rid of 1 or 2 and the rest get back in line. JMO.

If not, there's the door, we don't NEED fans to play the game.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any comments will be like gas on a fire!
I forget: is that better or worse than coals to Newcastle?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 09:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not having been there, I can't say for sure what should have been done with the team. As for game management: I agree that tossing a couple would have likely resolved the issue. If not, toss a couple more and tell the whole lot of them they're next. that's what police are for.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The only thing officials should do if there is a fan issue is ask game management to handle it. If GM was attempting to handle it and couldn't, I'm not sure what else the officials could have done, other than identifying specific people they wanted removed and holding the game up until it's time to play again.

Truth is, GM should handle more of these issues before officials ever have to intervene. I don't hear a lot of what's happening in the stands and I have 10 players and two benches to worry about. There is nothing stopping game management from removing people without being asked by the officials to do so. I wish more GM was proactive in this way.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
What if the Varsity boys coach is the guy in the stands you had removed?

This actually happened last week.

Edit: The VB coach was being a aZZ watching the Frosh game before his Varsity game.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
What if the Varsity boys coach is the guy in the stands you had removed?

This actually happened last week.

Edit: The VB coach was being a aZZ watching the Frosh game before his Varsity game.
Great question! What happened? I've seen a varsity coach do this in a couple of games but they weren't removed.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Great question! What happened? I've seen a varsity coach do this in a couple of games but they weren't removed.
I wasn't there...but, it was brought up at our meeting this week.

I guess the veteran official, that was doing a double header that night, kicked him out himself. He said he didn't really trust GM to do it...so he just kicked him out.

I guess the coach made a show out of it...taking about 2 minutes to leave the gym.

The veteran official called our assignor...and it was determined to let the coach participate in the Varsity game that night.

Some, wondered aloud, if the coach was kicked off of the premises if he would be considered trespassing if he came back in the gym for the Varsity game.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 12:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Around here it is not uncommon for a coach at a school to coach more than one team. On at least two occasions, (I was personally involved in one) I have seen a jr. high girls coach ejected and that coach return to coach the jr. high boys game without incident.

Lonesome Dove