The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 07:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
i've found that if you simply call traveling when it "looks funny", you'll keep the fans, coaches, and players happy...they don't know the rules either...

oh wait...that could apply to "over-and-back" violations, "over-the-back" fouls, 3 second violations, illegal screens, block/charge plays, hand-check plays, "carrying" violations...well i guess it's everything really!
+1
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

I had this one in Boys JV game the other day. Team A shoots a 3, long rebound at an angle toward the table. B1 grabs the ball with one hand and tries to baseball pass down court. The ball slips out of his hand on the follow through and goes about 10 feet in the air and forward about 4-5 feet, he takes a couple of steps and catches the ball. The player then proceeded to pass the ball. A's coach wanted traveling. I had a no-call. It was one of those "funny looking" plays. Did I blow it?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher View Post
I had this one in Boys JV game the other day. Team A shoots a 3, long rebound at an angle toward the table. B1 grabs the ball with one hand and tries to baseball pass down court. The ball slips out of his hand on the follow through and goes about 10 feet in the air and forward about 4-5 feet, he takes a couple of steps and catches the ball. The player then proceeded to pass the ball. A's coach wanted traveling. I had a no-call. It was one of those "funny looking" plays. Did I blow it?
By rule, a player is always able to recover a fumble which is what this sounds like to me. Good no call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
By rule, a player is always able to recover a fumble which is what this sounds like to me. Good no call.
I told the coach that I considered it a fumble. He politely disagreed, saying the player had control and basically "passed to himself" although not intentionally.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Judgment call. Was it a fumble, or did he throw the ball, but it just happened to be off target. This could be a travel. 4.44.3 D

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Judgment call. Was it a fumble, or did he throw the ball, but it just happened to be off target. This could be a travel. 4.44.3 D
Well, I considered it a fumble because he was trying to pass it about 60 feet downcourt to a teammate and it slipped out and ended up only going about 5 feet. He just happened to not have anyone else around and moved forward and caught the ball.

Last edited by bisonpitcher; Thu Feb 10, 2011 at 10:29pm.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Reference for FED??
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reference for FED??
Well by rule, a fumble is accidental loss of player control.

We can't have a travel since a player isn't holding the ball. We can't have an illegal dribble because a dribble is movement of the ball caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor...and we've already established that a fumble is accidental loss of player control.

Thus, a player can always retrieve a fumble. Now we get paid the big bucks (excluding a certain state) to determine what is and isn't a fumble.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 06:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Reference for FED??
NFHS case book play 4.15.4SitD(d)
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
NFHS case book play 4.15.4SitD(d)
This Case discusses dribbling. This situation was during an attempt at a pass. Would it still apply??
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
This Case discusses dribbling. This situation was during an attempt at a pass. Would it still apply??
If you deemed the play a fumble, it would apply. And you have already stated in your post #36 above that it was a fumble and not a pass.The concept applies to all fumbles. As APG said, a player can always legally recover a fumble.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 11:55am.