The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:50pm
Ok is the new good

Traveling

Hello,

I feel that I am not understanding traveling violation enough to call it often.

Any help on clarifying traveling in game situations...

Thanks!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Give us some specific plays/scenarios.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:51pm
I miss being on the floor

One situation that's particularly tough to call sometimes is when A1 lifts his pivot foot before starting a dribble.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:23pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Give us some specific plays/scenarios.
1) Player rolls around with the ball on floor..but does not ROLLOVER from Back to front or front to back.

2) Player sits on his butt with the ball

3) player drops to his knee while holding the ball
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
1) Player rolls around with the ball on floor..but does not ROLLOVER from Back to front or front to back.
I don't know what that means, "rolls around with the ball." If he's on his back or belly and rolls over, it's traveling. Opinions very on whether roll over means to his side or from back to belly or belly to back. If he rolls from either to his side, I have traveling as that's what the rule clearly states to me.

Quote:
2) Player sits on his butt with the ball
It's nothing unless he attempts to get up.

Quote:
Always traveling anytime a player holding the ball tocuhes the floor with any part of his body other than his foot or hand.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

More for rookies ...

What if player with the ball is flat on his back and does a sit-up to a sitting position?

What if a player with ball has established left foot as pivot, drops to his right knee, but maintains his left pivot foot?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 04:21pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Opinions very [sic] on whether roll over means to his side or from back to belly or belly to back. If he rolls from either to his side, I have traveling...
As do I. I've never had a clear-cut line drawn on the "roll over" rule, but as I understand it, belly/back to side (90 degrees) is enough for a travel. I think this rule could use a rewrite, for clarity's sake and get everyone on the same page.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Always traveling anytime a player holding the ball tocuhes the floor with any part of his body other than his foot or hand.

Does that apply if he continues his dribble and stands up?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
Quote:

Ask yourself this, is it possible to travel while dribbling?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any help on clarifying traveling in game situations...

Thanks!

Identify the pivot foot.

Coach: Thats a travel
Me: Which foot did you have as the pivot
Coach: ????
Me: STFU (in my head)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Files Of The Mythbusters ...

Quote:
Clarifying traveling in game situations.
(Please note: The Mythbusters do not usually deal in complex travel issues such as those involving jump stops. Please consult your rulebook for this information.)

The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his or her back, that player may sit up without violating.

During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter loses control of the ball because of the block, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. If, in this situation, the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne shooter returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.

Palming or carrying is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Some simple things:

If they lift their pivot foot before dribbling = travel

If they change their pivot foot = travel

If they lift their pivot foot and pass/shoot before putting it down = Fine

If they leave the floor holding ball and come back down with it =Love of gawd call something.

IMO: I try to avoid calling "it looked funny". If after the fact I realise it was a travel, they got away with one. If I don't see the traveling footwork I don't call it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Alway? What if a player while gathering the ball momentum takes he or she to the floor.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Why do you guys make this stuff difficult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
Alway? What if a player while gathering the ball momentum takes he or she to the floor.
We said from the get-go if the player was HOLDING the ball. If he's holding the ball when he touches the floor with anythign other than his hand or foot, it's traveling.

Quote:
Quote:

If he's HOLDING the ball, he's not DRIBBLING, is he?

You can't travel unless you're HOLDING the ball.*

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Feb 10, 2011 at 12:11am.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Always is a strong word because if you are in one of those places that uses NCAA women's rules ( such as colleges) and NYS high school girls basketball this is not a travel violation. It is recognized that just dropping to one kneee does not necessarily mean the pivot foot moved illegally.