The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 04:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

FIBA UNS call

Play: A1 approaches the basket from a tight angle from the EL. Secondary defender B2 is in the high middle of the key and comes down to play defense against A1. A1 is airborne when B2 jumps airborne and made no play on the play - his defensive method was to turn his body into A1. Only after the contact, does B2 then bring his arms around to make it appear he was trying to block the shot.

Your Ruling: _.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Play: A1 approaches the basket from a tight angle from the EL. Secondary defender B2 is in the high middle of the key and comes down to play defense against A1. A1 is airborne when B2 jumps airborne and made no play on the play - his defensive method was to turn his body into A1. Only after the contact, does B2 then bring his arms around to make it appear he was trying to block the shot.

Your Ruling: _.
HTBT, I'd say, but I might be inclined to call it as U. However, "attempt to play the ball" doesn't necessarily mean "try to block the shot", but also "try to get a good defensive position".

Notice that, from what I can gather from the description, the no-charge rule should not be taken into account, since it holds only if A1 crosses the semicircle when going to the basket. Therefore B2 was entitled to try and get a position even inside the semicircle.

Ciao
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
HTBT, I'd say, but I might be inclined to call it as U. However, "attempt to play the ball" doesn't necessarily mean "try to block the shot", but also "try to get a good defensive position".

Notice that, from what I can gather from the description, the no-charge rule should not be taken into account, since it holds only if A1 crosses the semicircle when going to the basket. Therefore B2 was entitled to try and get a position even inside the semicircle.

Ciao
Good point about the no-charge semicircle. There are 7 gyms in my locale, and only 1 has the no-charge semi-circle. This particular gym didn't have it.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Good point about the no-charge semicircle. There are 7 gyms in my locale, and only 1 has the no-charge semi-circle. This particular gym didn't have it.
Do they have, at least, rectangular restricted zones?

Ciao
Enrico