The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Why FIBA, Why?

So I took a few years off both baseball and basketball officiating for a few reasons.

I'm back doing baseball now, and basketball starts with a camp on the 10th of August. I can't wait.

I'm reading up on some rules now specifically FIBA rules since that is what everyone but High School in Ontario uses.

I would have much rather Basketball Canada gone to NCAA rules when they made the switch a few years ago.

At first glace, I can't say I'm a fan of these rules.

Does anyone know the rationale behind a few of their sillier rules-

Only allowing players to wear # 4-15.

Timeouts must be made through the scorers table, and only during a deadball?

Why can't timeouts be shortened if both teams are ready?

Is there anyone here who does both Fed and FIBA who can give me some tips on the rules and mechanics?
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 01:11pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I don't do FIBA, but having watched a lot of the FIBA stuff on TV, I can almost say the good reason for this is when reporting, you usually have to indicate 1, 2, or 3 FT's, so doing a jersey number 1-3 and then the number of FT's can get confusing to the scorekeeper. Remember, not all of those folks who work the book are 100% knowledgeable about how we report those fouls.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Because they did not invent basketball.

One of these rules is the reason the 1972 USA Basketball team got screwed (in their mind, not my thinking). I do not understand why the table plays such a role in calling a timeout.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 02:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Because they did not invent basketball.

One of these rules is the reason the 1972 USA Basketball team got screwed (in their mind, not my thinking). I do not understand why the table plays such a role in calling a timeout.

Peace
And here I thought it was because of the do-overs. Are those allowed in FIBA rules?
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I don't do FIBA, but having watched a lot of the FIBA stuff on TV, I can almost say the good reason for this is when reporting, you usually have to indicate 1, 2, or 3 FT's, so doing a jersey number 1-3 and then the number of FT's can get confusing to the scorekeeper. Remember, not all of those folks who work the book are 100% knowledgeable about how we report those fouls.
Do you not do this in FED and CCA as well?

Red

Block

2 shots

I guess using FIBA's flawed logic that makes sense, but to those who understand basketball it shouldn't.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 02:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't think he's right, though, otherwise 11, 12, and 13 would all be prohibited as well.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Also, why can a player get up to 5 technical fouls? I'd think that if people get 2 technical fouls with the same sort of circumstance he'd be getting a MLB umpire style heave-ho
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And here I thought it was because of the do-overs. Are those allowed in FIBA rules?
Actually there was a documentary that HBO Sports produced that dealt with the Olympic situation in great detail. FIBA allowed timeouts to only go through the scorer's table, which were not properly handled. This was the reason for the constant tries at the play and the reason the final try was successful. I am not saying that is right, just that if you have such a flawed rule and a major confusion based on that rule, usually you do not keep that rule. Or at the very least you modify or change the rule so you do not have a similar incident as before. It appears that FIBA has similar rules as they did over 30 years ago. I would have thought there was a change, I guess not.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd love to read the rationale behind that, Jeff, thanks for the pointer.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think Referee magazine had a breakdown of the 72 Olympics too. The article was several years ago.

IIRC, the conclusion was the first attempts were all during a dead ball due to various rules that made the ball dead. As such, the USSR was still due a throwin/possession. If they had made one of the first attempts, the rules should have also canceled that bucket and made them try again. Whether the officials would have rules in such a manner, we'll never know.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
So.....if a team honors a player by retiring their number, from that point on they can have only 11 players on their team?

Also, if you report number 6 with one finger on your right hand and five on your left do you also report number 15 the same way? Gee - that's not confusing at all.

OK - it's time for Padgett to jump in with all the metric jokes.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think Referee magazine had a breakdown of the 72 Olympics too. The article was several years ago.

IIRC, the conclusion was the first attempts were all during a dead ball due to various rules that made the ball dead. As such, the USSR was still due a throwin/possession. If they had made one of the first attempts, the rules should have also canceled that bucket and made them try again. Whether the officials would have rules in such a manner, we'll never know.
That is kind of how the HBO Documentary broke it down as well. It comes on every now and then and I have seen it more than once. It really explained the rules in place and how the final attempt was actually legal and every other situation was a dead ball. I am not saying this was done correctly; it just appeared that there was more to the story and not the USA spin on the circumstances. And we all have heard teams put spin on what happen to them and not take responsibility for their role in a failure. That being said those were/are some dumb rules.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 04:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is kind of how the HBO Documentary broke it down as well. It comes on every now and then and I have seen it more than once. It really explained the rules in place and how the final attempt was actually legal and every other situation was a dead ball. I am not saying this was done correctly; it just appeared that there was more to the story and not the USA spin on the circumstances. And we all have heard teams put spin on what happen to them and not take responsibility for their role in a failure. That being said those were/are some dumb rules.

Peace
I figured it had something to do with that, and I agree.

But it's FIBA.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Also, if you report number 6 with one finger on your right hand and five on your left do you also report number 15 the same way? Gee - that's not confusing at all.
The correct FIBA mechanic for 15 is a closed fist on the right hand and five digits showing on the left hand. The fist indicates the 10 when reporting 11 - 15. It's a metric thing...
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 05:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post
The correct FIBA mechanic for 15 is a closed fist on the right hand and five digits showing on the left hand. The fist indicates the 10 when reporting 11 - 15. It's a metric thing...
So if the foul is on number five, you have to signal the five with your right hand alone? What if the scorer is dyslexic?

Also - do you guys say "one five" or "fifteen"? What language is used in international matches - Esperanto?