The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Out of bounds question

On a made basket, I know the player can run the baseline to pass. Here is another scenario that I'm not sure about

Basket is made by opposing team, player 1 grabs the ball and calls out his play, player 2 runs out of bounds, player 1 passes him the ball once player 2 is completely out of bounds, player 1 goes inbound after making the pass to player 2, player 2 inbounds the ball to player 1. Is this legal?

Thanks
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Completely legal.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:57am
This IS My Social Life

Welcome to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcovan View Post
On a made basket, I know the player can run the baseline to pass. Here is another scenario that I'm not sure about

Basket is made by opposing team, player 1 grabs the ball and calls out his play, player 2 runs out of bounds, player 1 passes him the ball once player 2 is completely out of bounds, player 1 goes inbound after making the pass to player 2, player 2 inbounds the ball to player 1. Is this legal?

Thanks
1) The player can run the "endline". Baseball has a "baseline." (I'm sure someone would've clarified that...)
2) "How much time did this situation take?" is an important consideration. Can you clarify? If the player inbounds causes a delay in the "making the ball available to the thrower" process, there might be a situation begging rectification.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Thanks
Legal after a made or awarded basket.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
1) The player can run the "endline". Baseball has a "baseline." (I'm sure someone would've clarified that...).
Seriously though...

Quote:
2) "How much time did this situation take?" is an important consideration. Can you clarify? If the player inbounds causes a delay in the "making the ball available to the thrower" process, there might be a situation begging rectification.
5 seconds once the ball is at the dissposal (in the officials judgment). when player 1 "grabs the ball and calls out his play" I'm starting my count.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) The player can run the "endline". Baseball has a "baseline." (I'm sure someone would've clarified that...)
I stand corrected on "endline". No delay, all within the 5 seconds.

Thanks to all for the replies!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:14pm
This IS My Social Life

Ya'll Come Back Now, Ya Hear!"

Quote:
I stand corrected on "endline". No delay, all within the 5 seconds.

Thanks to all for the replies!
Sounds like you're good to go. Great question!
Keep tuned to the discussion board here and keep in constant touch with the dynamic fraternity of those like me who admittedly have no social life to speak of outside the lines.
Well, others might. I don't.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sigh, no it doesn't. As I pointed out the last time this came up, baseball has foul lines (which are fair) and runners can establish base paths, but there are no baselines in baseball.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Sigh, no it doesn't. As I pointed out the last time this came up, baseball has foul lines (which are fair) and runners can establish base paths, but there are no baselines in baseball.
Isn't estabilishing baselines involved somewhere in steroid testing? If so, then it's definitely a baseball thing.

And if not, then there are basslines in musical chairs (or at least in funky musical chairs).