The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

"I Touched It Last"

I don't know if you have seen the commercial were the officials in a game call out of bounds off of a certain player, then during a timeout the kid tells his Coach that he touched it last and wants to do the right thing. He then goes and tells the official that he was the last to touch the ball.
Would change your call if this happened to you??
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Absolutely not!

If they want to make it "right" violate the throw-in...
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Absolutely not. That commercial is absolutely unrealistic.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:43am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Absolutely not. That commercial is absolutely unrealistic.
High school? Probably unrealistic. Middle school? Maybe. Youth/rec at any level? Not unrealistic at all.

If you want to forfeit the throw-in, I won't stop you (free-throws are a different matter), nor would I waste anyone's time suggesting to violate.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
High school? Probably unrealistic. Middle school? Maybe. Youth/rec at any level? Not unrealistic at all.

If you want to forfeit the throw-in, I won't stop you (free-throws are a different matter), nor would I waste anyone's time suggesting to violate.
I could MAYBE see a player saying something immediately when the play occurred, but after an official already ruled on the play and after a timeout? Have a hard time seeing that at any level.

Now if a team wants to violate, then none of us should stop them from doing so.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I work a church youth league where 'honor calls' are encouraged. It works fine on an out of bounds call, but I don't accept honor calls on fouls. As we all know, players don't always know what a foul is and it doesn't help me control the game at all when the offense says "He didn't touch me". With good kids, however, the out of bounds honor call is a good thing.

In HS, no way, never would I let a player reverse any call.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The thing is, sometimes a player may think he touched it last when he didn't.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:00am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I could MAYBE see a player saying something immediately when the play occurred...
Right. I didn't take the time-out into consideration, just the correction, and I'd be cool with that.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The thing is, sometimes a player may think he touched it last when he didn't.
Absolutely true. But just from experience, players are a lot more reliable on OOB calls than on fouls.

It is also true that accepting any kind of input from players inherently penalizes the honest player, so it would never work in a highly competitive league.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I could not imagine changing my call, I was curious how you others may handle it.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 04:52pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
From a Game A few Yrs back.....

I was doing the first of my two "All-Star" Games. B7/8. Yep, this is the only 7 and 8 yr old game I do all year......and, it's a solo act.

Pretty good game really. Of course, at this age as long as you know a foul, travel, and a jump ball, you can pretty much call the game!

Anyhow, late in the third quarter I'm at the foul line extended, and the ball is shot from my side, misses everything is pin-balled around on the other side of the court and I am horribly screened. Ball goes out of bounds. I thought it was off blue and announce it as such. White ball.

As I am about to put the ball in play, a little boy 23W comes over to me and says in a very soft voice, "Mr. Official, the ball was off me, it should be blue ball." Me -

I announce to the gym, "Ladies and gentlemen, this young man said the ball was off him. Blue ball."

And don't ya know the parents and fans applauded the little boy's honesty. Really a great moment and great way to end the yr.

So yes, in that case, I changed my call.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
I don't know if you have seen the commercial were the officials in a game call out of bounds off of a certain player, then during a timeout the kid tells his Coach that he touched it last and wants to do the right thing. He then goes and tells the official that he was the last to touch the ball.
Had it happen a few years ago, minus the timeout...It was a blowout in the home teams favor. Second half out of bounds call as the ball is skip passed from one side to the other. My partner gave it to the visitors. As I am trying to inbound the ball the kid tells me he touched it last and doesn't want to throw it in. I tried to reason with him but he didn't want to soooo I talked to my partner and we gave it to home....by the way...HS varsity boys
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
As I am trying to inbound the ball the kid tells me he touched it last and doesn't want to throw it in. I tried to reason with him but he didn't want to soooo I talked to my partner and we gave it to home....by the way...HS varsity boys
Bartleby the Inbounder?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
I had a situation a couple of years ago, where the ball went out of bounds and I was screened so I missed who touched it last. I looked at partner and they couldn't help so I went AP. A lady right in front of the play that I knew told me it was off white. I told her I believed her but the only person I could accept advice from is another reff, but thanks. This was one of the gals that Mark speaks of sometimes!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
Bartleby the Inbounder?
Ooh, a Melville reference on the forum!