The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "I Touched It Last" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62010-i-touched-last.html)

Gargil Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:14am

"I Touched It Last"

I don't know if you have seen the commercial were the officials in a game call out of bounds off of a certain player, then during a timeout the kid tells his Coach that he touched it last and wants to do the right thing. He then goes and tells the official that he was the last to touch the ball.
Would change your call if this happened to you??

tref Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:16am

Absolutely not!

If they want to make it "right" violate the throw-in...

APG Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:26am

Absolutely not. That commercial is absolutely unrealistic.

bainsey Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 727602)
Absolutely not. That commercial is absolutely unrealistic.

High school? Probably unrealistic. Middle school? Maybe. Youth/rec at any level? Not unrealistic at all.

If you want to forfeit the throw-in, I won't stop you (free-throws are a different matter), nor would I waste anyone's time suggesting to violate.

APG Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 727615)
High school? Probably unrealistic. Middle school? Maybe. Youth/rec at any level? Not unrealistic at all.

If you want to forfeit the throw-in, I won't stop you (free-throws are a different matter), nor would I waste anyone's time suggesting to violate.

I could MAYBE see a player saying something immediately when the play occurred, but after an official already ruled on the play and after a timeout? Have a hard time seeing that at any level.

Now if a team wants to violate, then none of us should stop them from doing so.

rsl Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:54am

I work a church youth league where 'honor calls' are encouraged. It works fine on an out of bounds call, but I don't accept honor calls on fouls. As we all know, players don't always know what a foul is and it doesn't help me control the game at all when the offense says "He didn't touch me". With good kids, however, the out of bounds honor call is a good thing.

In HS, no way, never would I let a player reverse any call.

Adam Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:57am

The thing is, sometimes a player may think he touched it last when he didn't.

bainsey Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 727621)
I could MAYBE see a player saying something immediately when the play occurred...

Right. I didn't take the time-out into consideration, just the correction, and I'd be cool with that.

rsl Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 727626)
The thing is, sometimes a player may think he touched it last when he didn't.

Absolutely true. But just from experience, players are a lot more reliable on OOB calls than on fouls.

It is also true that accepting any kind of input from players inherently penalizes the honest player, so it would never work in a highly competitive league.

Gargil Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:38am

I could not imagine changing my call, I was curious how you others may handle it.

grunewar Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:52pm

From a Game A few Yrs back.....

I was doing the first of my two "All-Star" Games. B7/8. Yep, this is the only 7 and 8 yr old game I do all year......and, it's a solo act.

Pretty good game really. Of course, at this age as long as you know a foul, travel, and a jump ball, you can pretty much call the game!

Anyhow, late in the third quarter I'm at the foul line extended, and the ball is shot from my side, misses everything is pin-balled around on the other side of the court and I am horribly screened. Ball goes out of bounds. I thought it was off blue and announce it as such. White ball.

As I am about to put the ball in play, a little boy 23W comes over to me and says in a very soft voice, "Mr. Official, the ball was off me, it should be blue ball." Me - :)

I announce to the gym, "Ladies and gentlemen, this young man said the ball was off him. Blue ball."

And don't ya know the parents and fans applauded the little boy's honesty. Really a great moment and great way to end the yr.

So yes, in that case, I changed my call.

cmathews Tue Feb 08, 2011 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 727593)
I don't know if you have seen the commercial were the officials in a game call out of bounds off of a certain player, then during a timeout the kid tells his Coach that he touched it last and wants to do the right thing. He then goes and tells the official that he was the last to touch the ball.

Had it happen a few years ago, minus the timeout...It was a blowout in the home teams favor. Second half out of bounds call as the ball is skip passed from one side to the other. My partner gave it to the visitors. As I am trying to inbound the ball the kid tells me he touched it last and doesn't want to throw it in. I tried to reason with him but he didn't want to soooo I talked to my partner and we gave it to home....by the way...HS varsity boys

chymechowder Tue Feb 08, 2011 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews (Post 727880)
As I am trying to inbound the ball the kid tells me he touched it last and doesn't want to throw it in. I tried to reason with him but he didn't want to soooo I talked to my partner and we gave it to home....by the way...HS varsity boys

Bartleby the Inbounder?

Loudwhistle2 Tue Feb 08, 2011 06:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 727593)

I had a situation a couple of years ago, where the ball went out of bounds and I was screened so I missed who touched it last. I looked at partner and they couldn't help so I went AP. A lady right in front of the play that I knew told me it was off white. I told her I believed her but the only person I could accept advice from is another reff, but thanks. This was one of the gals that Mark speaks of sometimes!

mbyron Tue Feb 08, 2011 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chymechowder (Post 727881)
Bartleby the Inbounder?

Ooh, a Melville reference on the forum!