The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
it cracks me up when people say "it is disrespectful to make the song their own." for one every song that is sung is someone's own. Not everyone has the range for this song as it has a lot of ups and downs in tone and pitch. The best version i have ever heard of the song has been was from whitney houston back in 1990. If she did it as a conventional song it would not have been as special.

It is a hard song to sing (ask carl lewis :d). And jimmy kimmel proved that the average person likely does not even know the words to the song. Heck we have people that crack in officiating when they have a couple of thousand watching them, there was millions watching this. I am sure it was a little overwhelming.

Peace
+1
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Various Points, not all of which may be universally accepted:
1. The National Anthem, such as it is, is best "presented", not "performed"
2. Any singer doing this in order to call attention to him/herself deserves to be sent to Guantanamo or somewhere
3. As cherished as our nation's anthem is, we really need to update it to something that really rocks. Canada's anthem, now that can get a crowd joining along, cranking it out at the tops of their lungs. "God Bless America" can offer that rousing spirit better than the time-worn tune of the national anthem we have before games today.
4. The pledge of allegiance, perhaps led by a local veteran, would be a more effective call to patriotism than the aged tune and lyrics of the National Anthem, as much as I cherish it personally.
5. Varsity girls' game last Friday had a harmonica player doing the anthem. Ho hum. I'm sure his parents are proud of his performance.
6. Only one school around here has fans who actually sing along. I recall when, at an away game, the CD player broke, but it didn't matter because the visiting fans from that school, singing at the tops of their voices just kept on singing. By that time, even the home fans joined in.
7. Sadly, for most people the national anthem is a time to review the league, conference, and state championship dates on the banners on the wall next to the flag.
8. I'm as American as they come, just observant enough to detect the obvious, that our national anthem needs some real help, and self-serving performers calling attention to themselves don't cut it. Here in the land across from Rut our state had a year-long "Attention for the National Anthem" project whereby the assembled crowd were specially invited to join in singing. No one really did.
9. Don't call me a commie for these opinions. Just stating what is obvious to many besides me.
10. Don't have a #10. Yes I do: If a performer seeks a stage for artistic individualism, let 'em get in line to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" for WGN's seventh inning stretch at Wrigley Field.
I would agree with you on some of these things, #10 for example, and I think #6 is great. I don't agree that we need a National Anthem that 'rocks'. I think that 'God Bless America' is a great song and it would make a good National Anthem. However, I suspect that the reason our present anthem is only 'tolerated' by many is the lack of historical perspective, something I believe is not being taught in our schools today. Most people probably don't think about what was going on when Mr. Key wrote those words while standing on the deck of a British warship as it bombarded Ft. McHenry. They probably don't think about the prisoners below deck who asked throughout the night, "Is it still there? Is it still flying?" and the only way Mr. Key could tell was by the light provided by the bombs and rockets that were shredding his fellow countrymen. I frankly don't know how they held out. I've been in a rocket attack with 14 to 16 rockets and it seemed to go on forever. (I don't say this to brag. I was just a rabbit hiding in a hole hoping, praying it would end soon.) I can't imagine how they endured through 1500+ bombs and rockets. Our National Anthem was born in fire and blood. All other suggestions pale in comparison. No, I think the one we have now is just fine. May God bless our flag, the country it represents and those who serve under it.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

I will have to chime in here..

The National Anthem is not s spirit song

By definition anthem:
1.A hymn of praise or loyalty.
2. A choral composition having a sacred or moralizing text in English.
3. A modern ballad accompanied by rock music instrumentation.

# 3 above might be able to stretch to a spirit song but ...

Aged tune and lyrics?

The tune....The connection with Anacreon, along with the "drinking" nature of the lyrics, have caused many people to label "The Anacreontic Song" a drinking song...The song was commonly used as a sobriety test: If you could sing a stanza of the notoriously difficult melody and stay on key, you were sober enough for another round.

I think that would still apply today....If it is a raucous song sung in early America then it is perfect. The country was founded on rebellion...

The orginal name was Defence of Ft McHenry. It clearly outlined how the flag stood through terrible bombardment and stood for the free colonies.

For those who dont know the other verses

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

The lryics are still as appropriate today as they were in 1812. What was displayed first at Iwo Jima, what was displayed at the Twin Towers. A US Flag..

I have stood in the place between my home and war's desolation. To me as someone who has served in the military for over three decades, the words of all stanzas ring true for me.

We were started in war, we continue to battle for freedom... as long as we do that, the words are time honored...
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:38pm
This IS My Social Life

On Target

Well stated, Kelvin green. If the points of your post became widely known, then the help I remarked that the National Anthem needs would be aptly supplied.
I went to watch games tonight at that school I mentioned where, when the band plays the National Anthem, the entire home crowd sings the entire anthem loudly and proudly (in truth, it's my alma mater, and I don't get there much as I'm assigned elsewhere most nights). It's presented by the pep band, not performed by an individual. It's played with a nice, singable pace, and sure was a good experience for all there, as it is each game there.
Again, your words and insights provide the help needed. Not sure how it could become more widespread, as that kind of gratitude and understanding deserves.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Off topic:

Does anyone know of any other nation states that play their national anthem before every domestic athletic contest (at every level)? I enjoyed the tradition until we doubled up with "God Bless America" in most cases.

Now it just feels jingoistic and bizarre...
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That was probably the worst anthem since Rosanne Barr. Utterly irritating.

The best in recent memory...the 2009 Orange Bowl by Arturo Sandoval. His performance was both stunning and chillingly gripping, not an "everybody look at me" performance.
YouTube - Arturo Sandoval National Anthem, 2009 Orange Bowl.
Cameron,
Thanks for posting that! Incredible! Now on to the other ones posted in this thread.