The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That was probably the worst anthem since Rosanne Barr. Utterly irritating.

The best in recent memory...the 2009 Orange Bowl by Arturo Sandoval. His performance was both stunning and chillingly gripping, not an "everybody look at me" performance.
YouTube - Arturo Sandoval National Anthem, 2009 Orange Bowl.
I agree on both counts. The clip you posted by Sandoval was very good - the octave jump at the end was nothing short of stunning.

One of my personal favorites is the performance by Josh Groban at a Lions/Packers game - Thanksgiving of 2001 if I remember correctly. I was less enthralled with the version he did at the 2010 Rose Bowl, accompanied by the base guitarist from Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Minor variations to fit a particular performer's vocal style don't bother me, but I really hate it when they butcher it. That said, it's not an easy piece of music to perform. Speaking as one who in years long past has had the honor and privilege to perform it a number of times (including 1 NBA and a couple WHL hockey games), I have always done it straight.... the way it was written.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I remember when my group was practicing to sing it for my graduation from basic training, our instructor had four words for us.

"Don't #*@& it up."
When I was in marching band, our director would always remind us the two songs we were never allowed to make mistakes on were the Anthem and the fight song because everyone would notice.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well of course. They're much better than the recreational middle school chorii.
Ewwww!

Please, please, don't use Latin plural endings on Greek-rooted words.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 01:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Ewwww!

Please, please, don't use Latin plural endings on Greek-rooted words.
"chorices?"
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:13pm
This IS My Social Life

Xenophon's Anabasis

Quote:
"chorices?"
Nope. Probably "Xopoi", transliterated in its first declension nominative plural form.

Last edited by Freddy; Tue Feb 08, 2011 at 04:27pm.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Nope. Probably "Xopoi", transliterated in it's first declension nominative plural form.
Reminds me of what Safire once wrote about the plural of 'octopus', which confronts the same issue. He said that 'octopi' is wrong (uses a Latin ending), 'octopodes' is pedantic (uses the proper Greek ending), and so the best choice is to make a regular English plural with 'octopuses'.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, despite the fact that I'm wondering how the forum's resident plumber is so knowledgeable about Greek...
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 05:23pm
This IS My Social Life

I Don't Follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Reminds me of what Safire once wrote about the plural of 'octopus', which confronts the same issue. He said that 'octopi' is wrong (uses a Latin ending), 'octopodes' is pedantic (uses the proper Greek ending), and so the best choice is to make a regular English plural with 'octopuses'.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, despite the fact that I'm wondering how the forum's resident plumber is so knowledgeable about Greek...
Need the two be mutually exclusive? Then again, all my psyche is divided into three parts.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Need the two be mutually exclusive? Then again, all my psyche is divided into three parts.
Not mutually exclusive, just a rare combination. It's ok, as my plumber is a sociologist.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Shoulda Seen it coming.....

Tonight's game, the announcer asks everyone to rise for the National Anthem, and then says, "And, no Ms Aguilera is NOT singing!"
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Slightly off-topic from the off-topic thread - I was at a school last night where the National Anthem was performed by only the band's tuba and euphonium players. I didn't know what to expect when they first came out, but the instruments sounded very good together. The rendition was straightfoward, with harmonies, obviously, but the 4 of them did a great job. It was unique, but very cool.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 10:08am
M.A.S.H.

I'm late to the discussion... but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As I was listening to it I thought something sounded a bit odd......and then, my brother called to discuss the issue......blech.
Same thing happened to me. I was like... ummm, I think she skipped a line.

Either way, she did a very, very poor job - which is an extreme understatement.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Tonight's game, the announcer asks everyone to rise for the National Anthem, and then says, "And, no Ms Aguilera is NOT singing!"
Similar in my game. Announcer asked everyone to stand and join in the singing of the national anthem. He then adds, that if anyone is having problems with the words - they are printed on the wall. (and they are)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 03:45pm
This IS My Social Life

National Anthem Thoughts

Various Points, not all of which may be universally accepted:
1. The National Anthem, such as it is, is best "presented", not "performed"
2. Any singer doing this in order to call attention to him/herself deserves to be sent to Guantanamo or somewhere
3. As cherished as our nation's anthem is, we really need to update it to something that really rocks. Canada's anthem, now that can get a crowd joining along, cranking it out at the tops of their lungs. "God Bless America" can offer that rousing spirit better than the time-worn tune of the national anthem we have before games today.
4. The pledge of allegiance, perhaps led by a local veteran, would be a more effective call to patriotism than the aged tune and lyrics of the National Anthem, as much as I cherish it personally.
5. Varsity girls' game last Friday had a harmonica player doing the anthem. Ho hum. I'm sure his parents are proud of his performance.
6. Only one school around here has fans who actually sing along. I recall when, at an away game, the CD player broke, but it didn't matter because the visiting fans from that school, singing at the tops of their voices just kept on singing. By that time, even the home fans joined in.
7. Sadly, for most people the national anthem is a time to review the league, conference, and state championship dates on the banners on the wall next to the flag.
8. I'm as American as they come, just observant enough to detect the obvious, that our national anthem needs some real help, and self-serving performers calling attention to themselves don't cut it. Here in the land across from Rut our state had a year-long "Attention for the National Anthem" project whereby the assembled crowd were specially invited to join in singing. No one really did.
9. Don't call me a commie for these opinions. Just stating what is obvious to many besides me.
10. Don't have a #10. Yes I do: If a performer seeks a stage for artistic individualism, let 'em get in line to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" for WGN's seventh inning stretch at Wrigley Field.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Feb 10, 2011 at 08:46am. Reason: Addition of a #10
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3. As cherished as our nation's anthem is, we really need to update it to something that really rocks. Canada's anthem, now that can get a crowd joining along, cranking it out at the tops of their lungs. "God Bless America" can offer that rousing spirit better than the time-worn tune of the national anthem we have before games today.

8. I'm as American as they come, just observant enough to detect the obvious, that our national anthem needs some real help,...
The anthem is just fine. The band tonight at my game was incredible and their version was interestingly different yet respectful and beautifully performed. I could have listened to it again.

The bigger problem is that a lot of mediocre singers attempt to sing a highly difficult song and just can't cut it....they just don't have the range that it covers.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:43am
Do not give a damn!!

It cracks me up when people say "it is disrespectful to make the song their own." For one every song that is sung is someone's own. Not everyone has the range for this song as it has a lot of ups and downs in tone and pitch. The best version I have ever heard of the song has been was from Whitney Houston back in 1990. If she did it as a conventional song it would not have been as special.

It is a hard song to sing (ask Carl Lewis ). And Jimmy Kimmel proved that the average person likely does not even know the words to the song. Heck we have people that crack in officiating when they have a couple of thousand watching them, there was millions watching this. I am sure it was a little overwhelming.

Peace