The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm just rereading NFHS (2001-02) case book 9.8C and I would like your help to clarify.

It says if A1 is in the back court for a count of 9 and goes to pass to A2 but the ball is deflected by B1 located in the backcourt and the ball goes out of bounds.
Following the inbounds team A would get a new 10 seconds to advance the ball.

Is that right?
GW
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Absolutely right. If the ball goes OOB or if Team A is granted a TO, they are given a new 10-second count when the ball is inbounded. That's for HS and college. The NBA rule is different, which may be the source of any confusion.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

RE: Absolutely right

not so much confusion as disbelief. Why do you reward the offense with a new 10 second count if the defense makes a good play in a deflection?

what if the count is at 9 and the offensive throws the ball off the defenders leg out of bounds? they would get a new 10 second count. But if the offense tries to pass it to a player in the front court and the count reaches 10 before the ball reaches a player in the front court it is a violation?
these two scenarios do not seem consistent to me.

GTW
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: RE: Absolutely right

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
not so much confusion as disbelief. Why do you reward the offense with a new 10 second count if the defense makes a good play in a deflection?

what if the count is at 9 and the offensive throws the ball off the defenders leg out of bounds? they would get a new 10 second count. But if the offense tries to pass it to a player in the front court and the count reaches 10 before the ball reaches a player in the front court it is a violation?

GTW
2 things: firstly the rule is the way the rule is, makes no
sense to debate it, unless you can find something in the
rules that makes it inconsistent. Obviously the NBA feels
differently about this for whatever reason. BTW, in the NBA
under some conditions the offense gets a free ride to the 28-foot line in the frontcourt (happy now, mr know-it-all? )after a basket by taking a time out. Fair?
Unfair? No, just the way the rules are written. Secondly,
under college rules and some locations HS rules the offense
still has the shot clock to contend with, which does not
get reset in these cases.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Nov 7th, 2002 at 10:11 AM]
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: RE: Absolutely right

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
BTW, in the NBA
under some conditions the offense gets a free ride to the
mid court after a basket by taking a time out.
Not the main point, I know, but they actually get it at the 28-foot line in the frontcourt if they choose to do so after calling a TO in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter or any OT period. Ok, I'm leaving now. . .

Chuck
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 11:24am
In Memoriam

Cool Re: RE: Absolutely right

Quote:

But if the offense tries to pass it to a player in the front court and the count reaches 10 before the ball reaches a player in the front court it is a violation?
Troward,
In real life, if the ball is in the air at 9, it is unlikely that I will call, "Ten!".
My ten second count is close, but (philisophically speaking) not close enough for me to make that call.
mick
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

GTW
My thoughts on this begin with the requirement that the offense must not have control of the ball that is in the backcourt for more than 10 seconds. If the throw doesn't make it to the frontcourt in time it's pretty easy call (not necessarily called exactly at 10 in practice). Why didn't they get it there earlier? The defense probably prevented it. That is good defense.

What about when the defense tips the ball OOB? Is that really good defense? I would view good defense as stealing the ball or causing the offense to throw it OOB. Almost stealing the ball and tipping it OOB is almost good defense. The defense violated by knocking it out. Why limit the offense on the throwin due to the unsucessful defense.

These may or may not be the real reason for these rulings but are the way I view the situation.
Old Sat Nov 09, 2002, 01:19am
We don't rent pigs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Troward
[B]not so much confusion as disbelief. Why do you reward the offense with a new 10 second count if the defense makes a good play in a deflection?

One reason is because in high school we have no shot clock to count it for us. It is asking a lot for some of us to count to ten, let alone remember where we were in the count and resume it after a throw-in.
Old Sat Nov 09, 2002, 01:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
So who ever said the NF rules were consistent? There are some other dichotomies in those rules.

Maybe a better question would be why reward the defense just because a defender is standing within six feet of a ball handler for five seconds.

Riddle me that one, Batman.