The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 04:42pm
Back from the DL

End of overtime video

From Friday night: Tie score, end of OT, 3-man crew...

Here's the video.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 04:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I remember speaking with that accent. Hard to tell on the contact as to whether or not it was incidental or not, or before the horn or not. Sounded like the horn was still going off when the push occurred, but whether or not it was the echo of the horn, is hahd to tell.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Horn definitely went off before the contact occurred. Didn't really seem that close to me. I will say that if there wasn't a horn before the contact, I would have judged that contact to be a foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 05:14pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

I think I hear horn before or so close Iwould not be calling foul here, It would take an absolute 100 plus percent here to put someone on the line like this.

First thing I wold do is get coach back....
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Agree, Horn before contact

Assuming the table was consulted if there was any question as to the end of the quarter/period. If there's disagreement, it goes to referee's decision.

Case 2.13

The signal to end the fourth quarter cannot be heard by the officials. The table officials disagree as to whether the ball was in flight during a try for field goal or if a foul occured before the ball became dead.

The final decision shall be made by the referee , and unless he/she has knowledge to alter the ruling, the goal shall count if it was successful and the foul shall be charged and penalized.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Well that's one way to avoid a second OT. Not a good way, IMO.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 09:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Assuming the table was consulted if there was any question as to the end of the quarter/period. If there's disagreement, it goes to referee's decision.

Case 2.13

The signal to end the fourth quarter cannot be heard by the officials. The table officials disagree as to whether the ball was in flight during a try for field goal or if a foul occured before the ball became dead.

The final decision shall be made by the referee , and unless he/she has knowledge to alter the ruling, the goal shall count if it was successful and the foul shall be charged and penalized.
It would be a cold day in he'll before I would consult with a table in a regular season game where those people are hired by the home school, work at the home school, and are probably rooting for the home school (not openly, but still).
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Well that's one way to avoid a second OT. Not a good way, IMO.
+1

I realize it's a lot different when we are on the floor instead of watching a video, but I honestly didn't think that play was particularly close. Seemed to me that the horn clearly sounded prior to the contact. Clearly a foul, but after the horn. Tough situation for the crew.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
+1

I realize it's a lot different when we are on the floor instead of watching a video, but I honestly didn't think that play was particularly close. Seemed to me that the horn clearly sounded prior to the contact. Clearly a foul, but after the horn. Tough situation for the crew.
What I don't know is how the other two officials missed the horn. I can excuse the lead a bit because he's concentrating on the impending contact. But the C on this play has last second shot responsiblitiy and should be listening for the horn. This is also why I've been thought that all officials have an opinion on a last second shot. In this case, the trail should have also been waiting for the horn in my opinion. Those two should have been able to talk the lead out of administering free throws due to the period ending.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 10:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
+1

Yes, I agree. It wasn't intentional or flagrant. Go to the second OT. Ignore the contact.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 10:43am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What I don't know is how the other two officials missed the horn. I can excuse the lead a bit because he's concentrating on the impending contact. But the C on this play has last second shot responsiblitiy and should be listening for the horn. This is also why I've been thought that all officials have an opinion on a last second shot. In this case, the trail should have also been waiting for the horn in my opinion. Those two should have been able to talk the lead out of administering free throws due to the period ending.
I will have to re-watch it. We often will sound the whistle to signify the end of play for the quarter. Especially if a shot goes up, time expires and there is no way for the try to be successful. If the C comes out with a whistle, then if the L is late with his, then the contact get ignored.

Okay, I re-watched it. If C would have come out with a whistle with his hand up at the horn and with the attempt not getting even close, it would have prevented the call by L from being made. Or at least it should have.

Last edited by 26 Year Gap; Sun Feb 06, 2011 at 10:48am. Reason: re-watched video for last paragraph entry
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What I don't know is how the other two officials missed the horn. ... Those two should have been able to talk the lead out of administering free throws due to the period ending.
I saw a senior official who called the foul meeting with two junior partners and telling them how it was going to go down. Didn't appear to be a consultation: he doesn't look at them and ask, "what did you see?."

Bainsey, were you one of the officials?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 11:45am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
I saw a senior official who called the foul meeting with two junior partners and telling them how it was going to go down. Didn't appear to be a consultation: he doesn't look at them and ask, "what did you see?."

Gardiner is covered by another association. Central Maine Board, I believe.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:

I don't understand why the calling official reports the foul, then brings his partners together, only to report the foul again. Does he want more face time with the coach at half-court?

I always include a situation like this in my pregame. If we have a last second shot, all three of us need to have an opinion. If I'm the trail official here, I am more concerned about offering my information (the horn sounded before the incidental contact) to the lead official than getting the ball from the player in the middle of the court.

The C must not know when the horn sounded (although he would ultimately be responsible for the last second shot). He is about two steps away from cutting the lead off and saving the day, when he decides to just stand there and watch.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:26pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
LOL You think I would have posted this here if I were?

As 26 mentioned, this is a different part of the state. Different board. (Although I have no idea what "accents" he's talking about. I didn't hear any. )

I have two questions, though:

*I believe the rules say that an official must be positive that a shot is released too late to call off a try. That is, if you're not sure whether a shot is released before the horn, it's still a try. If this is the case, does this mentality also apply to fouls before/after the buzzer?

*We talked about intentional and flagrant fouls after the buzzer. What about technical fouls? If you have dead ball contact after the buzzer, is it possible to call such contact, and shoot free throws at the beginning of the next period?