The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Time out after scored goal

Just wanted to make sure I got this right. VB game.

H1 makes basket. V1 has ball at disposal for throw in and H coach calls TO. No TO granted per 6.1.2b. (I was at the T and looked back to see the ball at the disposal of V1 before granting TO...and I didn't grant it.)

I was 99% sure I was right. HC asked my partner about it, who he knew, and he said he wasn't sure. We talked about it and couldn't come to a consensus. I didn't push the issue, decided that unless it was a flagrantly late TO request that I'd grant the request. Told the HC where we stood and we were off and running.

Good game...big game...home team hall of fame night. I'm getting more of a varsity schedule this year...having fun and getting more and more confident.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Yep... if it's at their disposal the ball is live and the 5-second count should have started. Thus, in your case, no TO can be granted to Team H.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Time Out, Time Out, Time Out" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
The 5-second count should have started.
I've quoted the most important part, mechanics wise, of tjones1 post. Once you've started counting, it's too late to grant the timeout request from the non-thrower-in team. This is why the nonadministering official must be cognizant of his partner's count.

Remember, if either official mistakenly does sound the whistle to grant this request, now you have a dead ball, and you now have to grant the request.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Yep... if it's at their disposal the ball is live and the 5-second count should have started. Thus, in your case, no TO can be granted to Team H.
Remember the editorial change that was made this year. Ball is not "at the disposal" until it's available after the goal AND the official has started his count. In the OP, if the official had not yet started his count, the request for a TO should have been granted.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 12:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Newbies Take Note ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
Remember the editorial change that was made this year. Ball is not "at the disposal" until it's available after the goal AND the official has started his count. In the OP, if the official had not yet started his count, the request for a TO should have been granted.
Great post jearef.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
True, but he said it was "at the disposal." We can assume that this means it was "at the disposal".

Now, my question is, if he was T, why did he have to "look back" at the ball to see if it was at the disposal. I'm not quite sure what he means by this.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 01:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Revolving Door Philosophy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
He said it was "at the disposal." We can assume that this means it was "at the disposal".
Is this another one of those revolving door interpretations?
When is it at his disposal? When you start counting.
When do you start counting? When it's at his disposal.

Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Count had started. I was transitioning to L (3-man). I always do a quick check of my "running lane" when transitioning.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 06:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
Count had started. I was transitioning to L (3-man). I always do a quick check of my "running lane" when transitioning.
Ok, you were L. That's where I got confused, I thought you were T. I see now what you meant.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

The "rule change" this season was one of the most ambiguous ever made and really didn't clear up anything. If the thrower doesn't have the ball yet and the opposing coach calls timeout, I'm granting the timeout.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Like the post

Love the post, just ran into this problem the other night, ended up gave the coach the t/o. Had to ask my partner who also didn't know. But the coach put up a good argument and i knew him from seasons before and knew he was honest. Thanks for the post tho! Glad i got it right.