The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time out after scored goal (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61764-time-out-after-scored-goal.html)

bigdog5142 Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:04pm

Time out after scored goal

Just wanted to make sure I got this right. VB game.

H1 makes basket. V1 has ball at disposal for throw in and H coach calls TO. No TO granted per 6.1.2b. (I was at the T and looked back to see the ball at the disposal of V1 before granting TO...and I didn't grant it.)

I was 99% sure I was right. HC asked my partner about it, who he knew, and he said he wasn't sure. We talked about it and couldn't come to a consensus. I didn't push the issue, decided that unless it was a flagrantly late TO request that I'd grant the request. Told the HC where we stood and we were off and running.

Good game...big game...home team hall of fame night. I'm getting more of a varsity schedule this year...having fun and getting more and more confident.

tjones1 Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:17pm

Yep... if it's at their disposal the ball is live and the 5-second count should have started. Thus, in your case, no TO can be granted to Team H.

BillyMac Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:00am

"Time Out, Time Out, Time Out" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 726319)
The 5-second count should have started.

I've quoted the most important part, mechanics wise, of tjones1 post. Once you've started counting, it's too late to grant the timeout request from the non-thrower-in team. This is why the nonadministering official must be cognizant of his partner's count.

Remember, if either official mistakenly does sound the whistle to grant this request, now you have a dead ball, and you now have to grant the request.

jearef Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 726319)
Yep... if it's at their disposal the ball is live and the 5-second count should have started. Thus, in your case, no TO can be granted to Team H.

Remember the editorial change that was made this year. Ball is not "at the disposal" until it's available after the goal AND the official has started his count. In the OP, if the official had not yet started his count, the request for a TO should have been granted.

BillyMac Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:07pm

Newbies Take Note ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jearef (Post 726410)
Remember the editorial change that was made this year. Ball is not "at the disposal" until it's available after the goal AND the official has started his count. In the OP, if the official had not yet started his count, the request for a TO should have been granted.

Great post jearef.

Adam Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jearef (Post 726410)

True, but he said it was "at the disposal." We can assume that this means it was "at the disposal".

Now, my question is, if he was T, why did he have to "look back" at the ball to see if it was at the disposal. I'm not quite sure what he means by this.

BillyMac Sat Feb 05, 2011 01:05pm

Revolving Door Philosophy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 726453)
He said it was "at the disposal." We can assume that this means it was "at the disposal".

Is this another one of those revolving door interpretations?
When is it at his disposal? When you start counting.
When do you start counting? When it's at his disposal.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...dadc44ec35a93b

bigdog5142 Sat Feb 05, 2011 01:52pm

Count had started. I was transitioning to L (3-man). I always do a quick check of my "running lane" when transitioning.

Adam Sat Feb 05, 2011 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog5142 (Post 726471)
Count had started. I was transitioning to L (3-man). I always do a quick check of my "running lane" when transitioning.

Ok, you were L. That's where I got confused, I thought you were T. I see now what you meant.

BktBallRef Sat Feb 05, 2011 06:56pm

The "rule change" this season was one of the most ambiguous ever made and really didn't clear up anything. If the thrower doesn't have the ball yet and the opposing coach calls timeout, I'm granting the timeout.

ThatOneRef Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:38am

Like the post

Love the post, just ran into this problem the other night, ended up gave the coach the t/o. Had to ask my partner who also didn't know. But the coach put up a good argument and i knew him from seasons before and knew he was honest. Thanks for the post tho! Glad i got it right. :D