The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

nerves

any of you veterans still/ever get nervous before your games? i'm in my third year,and have done about 150 games from jv down, but i'm still getting nervous before games. i'm kinda jumpy by nature so that doesn't help, but i thought my nerves would be better by now. thanks.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

There's nervous and there's nervous. I always want the "edge" that excitement and anticipation give me before a big game. But nowadays I don't get so anxious that I'm distracted by my own pounding heart.

If your nerves are a continuing distraction, then I recommend learning some controlled breathing and relaxation techniques. As part of your pre-game, they can minimize your body's adrenaline response and help you focus during the game.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:32am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
any of you veterans still/ever get nervous before your games? i'm in my third year,and have done about 150 games from jv down, but i'm still getting nervous before games. i'm kinda jumpy by nature so that doesn't help, but i thought my nerves would be better by now. thanks.
I take it as a good thing. I'm in my second year and I get a little bit of butterflies, especially before my higher-level games. I know that if I get nervous, I'm up for the game.

The butterflies go away after the first whistle.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I've done this for over 20 years, and still get a little nervous before a game. I've actually had a game or two where I've gone in totally relaxed and comfortable, and had a problem of some sort during the game, so I figured being too relaxed means I'm not concentrating enough.

Granted, I'm not as nervous as I was many years ago, and that comes from the comfort of knowing the game and the rules better. But I still think it helps to be a little "on edge" to be more alert and better able to handle the different situations that come up during a game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I don't get nervous but my adrenaline starts to really flow prior to each game so I am pumped when I walk onto the floor. It reminds me of the seriousness of the job I am about to do.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:48am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not get so-called "nervous" anymore for familiar situations. The only time I get "nervous" or can tell something is different is when I am working in a conference, a level or some place I am not used to normally. But if it is similar teams, surroundings or situations I hardly think that much about what I am feeling. That being said it has been getting like that every year in the last 5 years. And it does help that this is my 15 season. Five years or more I would have had a different answer. Just know it gets easier, but that does not mean I am not excited or waiting for the game to start, just nervous is not an emotion I can say I share often anymore.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

...anxious might be a better word.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:59am
Official & Member

Quote:
... i'm kinda jumpy by nature so that doesn't help, but i thought my nerves would be better by now. thanks.
I'm thinking Padgett may be along soon with a pharmaceutical solution for you.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
any of you veterans still/ever get nervous before your games?
That's why so many officials have a pre-game in the throne room.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I'm thinking Padgett may be along soon with a pharmaceutical solution for you.
awesome!! lol....

after reading the posts here i realize that i'm not alone...my nervousness is better looked at as anxious anticipation...i'm fine once the games start. and, my fear is that i'm afraid i'm gonna screw up, but i realized soon after i started the only way to never screw up is to quit ref'ng...
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I kinda know what you are going through. I don't get as nervous anymore, I get more excited and anxious. When I used to get nervous, I felt as if something might pop up during a game that I might not have seen before and screw things up...may not react correctly. Also, when I worked with a more experience official(s), I wanted things to be perfect, which I later realized is impossible. That's why I think I spent a lot of time watching video, found a great mentor, worked a lot of games (AAU also), practiced my mechanics, had nose in rule book, watch lots of varsity games and not least of which is this forum. All of these helped me feel more confident and relaxed during a ball game.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I find myself anxious in certain moments. The last time was when I worked the "game of the year" last season that was hyped like no other regular season game I can remember since I moved here. The game was on TV, was sold out in 10 minutes (advance ticket sales), and there were stories on the 5PM news about rivalries and the importance (overstated if you ask me) of this game (which was right before I left the house). Those butterflies lasted until I tossed the ball up and from that point on, I was simply working the game.

Of course the JV game before us went OT, too.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

My 11th year. I do get a little nervous before BIG games, and it doesn't have to be a BIG Boys game. I had an intra City Rivalry girls game last night and was just a little nervous, once the game started, I was fine as usual.

Most games, I am not nervous at all. Sometimes a partner will make me a little nervous, but rarely. If I work with one of our board members.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy refereeing. I remember my partners telling me my first year, " Just relax and have fun"

"Have Fun"? I thought, I am too busy to have fun, I got to watch the players, the clock, listen to the coach, think about the call, the rules, the Arrow....no time for fun.

Now, I love it, I don't think about anything much, sometimes the foul count, but not even that too much. Just let the game come to you.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've been at this for over 30 years. Most nights, I could take a nap five minutes before the start of the game. On nights that there is a big game or a state tournament game, I am a little more wound up, but not tons.

One of my former partners was the most Nervous Nelly I have ever met in my life. He would hit the facilities four or five times before we walked on the court. However, once the game started, he was outstanding.

The moral to the story is that everyone is different and you just have to work within yourself.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 01:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

His Pregame Is Very Boring, Puts Me To Sleep ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I recommend learning some controlled breathing and relaxation techniques. As part of your pre-game, they can minimize your body's adrenaline response and help you focus during the game.
I've seen this guy work. He makes a lot of calls outside his primary.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)