The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

"Over The Back"

I was watching a boys V game last night and saw the Official call "Over The Back" using the signal that imitates a player going over the back. I have seen this on at least 3 different occasions this year during a Varsity game. Does this bother anyone else other than me? To me it shows that the Official obviously must not attend clinics otherwise that would be corrected and his parters do not inform him of his error. Am I off base here or does this bother others also?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Not an approved signal at any level. Stay away from it. If your partner is an old dog you won't change him. If a newer official, try to offer constructive critisim.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
Does this bother anyone else other than me?
It bothers 99% of those on this site.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I hate the tiger paw mechanic.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Should bother 100%

Wow!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 09:41am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Angry

It perpetuates the myth. I don't even use the phrase in conversation. I've seen guys use it, too, and it bugs the crap out of me. Wish they'd have to forfeit their game fee if they do that.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 09:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
It perpetuates the myth. I don't even use the phrase in conversation. I've seen guys use it, too, and it bugs the crap out of me. Wish they'd have to forfeit their game fee if they do that.
The conversation bothers me more because it suggests they clearly do not understand the rule. Then again I do not see anyone giving that signal very often if ever.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen that 'mechanic' yet, but I did see a "gator chomp" (like Florida Gators fans do) last week in a game I was watching. Not sure what it was supposed to mean. The offending action was blocked from my view.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd21 View Post
Not an approved signal at any level. Stay away from it. If your partner is an old dog you won't change him. If a newer official, try to offer constructive critisim.
i used that mechanic once...my first game in my first year. still remember it. i remember how the bench guy smiled at me when i did the "tiger paw." during the next dead ball my veteran partner asked me about it. he kindly explained to me that there is no such mechanic...that i should use a push.

i'm grateful for his (and all the guys/gals in my pool) teachings to this day.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
I haven't seen that 'mechanic' yet, but I did see a "gator chomp" (like Florida Gators fans do) last week in a game I was watching. Not sure what it was supposed to mean. The offending action was blocked from my view.
It usually means that "the ball was blocked; it's not a foul."

Don't use it.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Don't use it.
Thank you for the clarification, Bob, and I won't!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:08am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:

Don't use it.
When I have a partner who is in the habit of using that signal, or the 'foul tip' mechanic in a shooting situation, I routinely reach across and call a shooting foul. Cures them pretty quick.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

or the 'foul tip' mechanic in a shooting situation,

what is this?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
Quote:

Don't use it.
I am not sure I totally agree with that. For one the chop signal is for clarification and to give information. The "over the back" signal is to call something based on something that is not a rule. We used to use the "kicking" signal and it was not approved (even the "palming" signal was used and not approved at one time). And I know officials that use the "tip" signal for multiple purposes to give information. I am not advocating using this signal, but just saying that we do a lot of things that are not approved and no one gets upset over the situation.

To be clear I would not use that signal during most live ball or right as a player is being defended, but I have used it before. Never been told not to or it was wrong.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not sure I totally agree with that. For one the chop signal is for clarification and to give information. The "over the back" signal is to call something based on something that is not a rule. We used to use the "kicking" signal and it was not approved (even the "palming" signal was used and not approved at one time). And I know officials that use the "tip" signal for multiple purposes to give information. I am not advocating using this signal, but just saying that we do a lot of things that are not approved and no one gets upset over the situation.

To be clear I would not use that signal during most live ball or right as a player is being defended, but I have used it before. Never been told not to or it was wrong.

Peace
I've seen big time NCAA officials put both arms straight up and bring them forward/down to show that a player was vertical but brought the arms forward/down and fouled the shooter. It's a mechanic that may not be approved but communicates the foul far better than a hit/hack mechanic ever could.

Same with the hit to the head (in an NFHS game). If I hit the head, nobody ever questions me. If I use the usual hit/hack mechanic, I'm just as likely to hear from a coach that "he didn't hit him on the arm."

I try to use proper mechanics when they fit, but I'm not a slave to them 100% of the time, either.