The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Over The Back" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61719-over-back.html)

Zoochy Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33am

Bumping from Behind

Many years ago I was watching a lower level Girls game and while reporting/describing the foul the official said "Bumping from behind" while giving a pelvic thrusting motion.:eek:

JRutledge Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 726089)
I've seen big time NCAA officials put both arms straight up and bring them forward/down to show that a player was vertical but brought the arms forward/down and fouled the shooter. It's a mechanic that may not be approved but communicates the foul far better than a hit/hack mechanic ever could.

Same with the hit to the head (in an NFHS game). If I hit the head, nobody ever questions me. If I use the usual hit/hack mechanic, I'm just as likely to hear from a coach that "he didn't hit him on the arm."

I try to use proper mechanics when they fit, but I'm not a slave to them 100% of the time, either.

This is why I say exactly what the player did when I go to the table instead of the usual "push" or "handcheck."

Peace

Bad Zebra Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 726098)
...the official said "Bumping from behind" while giving a pelvic thrusting motion.

Mandatory jail sentence now. :D

The OTB mechanic still makes me cringe whenever I see it. Fortunately, I've only seen it at the sub-varsity level and I'll make it a point to talk that official if I can after the game.

BLydic Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 726074)
When I have a partner who is in the habit of using that signal, or the 'foul tip' mechanic in a shooting situation, I routinely reach across and call a shooting foul. Cures them pretty quick.;)

I hope I haven't misunderstood what you are advocating here.

26 Year Gap Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 726101)
Mandatory jail sentence now. :D

The OTB mechanic still makes me cringe whenever I see it. Fortunately, I've only seen it at the sub-varsity level and I'll make it a point to talk that official if I can after the game.

The Boris Karloff mechanic is probably the worst one out there. Though, if I ever saw that Elvis one, I might have to re-think my position.

referee99 Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:35am

Recall a partner...

... who gave the 'rainbow' mechanic on a ball over the backboard. Cracked me up.

letemplay Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39am

Help

I've picked up the Gator chop somehow on occasion and don't know where...or how to rid myself of it:(

26 Year Gap Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 726125)
I've picked up the Gator chop somehow on occasion and don't know where...or how to rid myself of it:(

I would suggest becoming a Seminole fan, but you'd just be trading one mechanic for another.

JRutledge Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 726132)
I would suggest becoming a Seminole fan, but you'd just be trading one mechanic for another.

I am already which is why I cannot do the "chop" but once or twice a season. :D

Peace

26 Year Gap Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 726133)
I am already which is why I cannot do the "chop" but once or twice a season. :D

Peace

Point taken, but those guys don't stop at a single chop per play.

mj Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 726043)
I was watching a boys V game last night and saw the Official call "Over The Back" using the signal that imitates a player going over the back. I have seen this on at least 3 different occasions this year during a Varsity game. Does this bother anyone else other than me? To me it shows that the Official obviously must not attend clinics otherwise that would be corrected and his parters do not inform him of his error. Am I off base here or does this bother others also?

Keep watching the guys doing varsity though. You will see alot of things you shouldn't do. But you will also see alot of things you should do. The key is to figure out the rights from the wrongs and what works for you.

JRutledge Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 726139)
Point taken, but those guys don't stop at a single chop per play.

I have used these on only two kinds of plays. One the play is over after I have ruled on a jump ball and the reason is the "topping" of the ball on a shot.

The other time is on a several block sequence and I am totally ruling on this in my primary. Not saying that it is the thing to do, just do it on a sell of a no-call. But the first situation is when I would use it more often as it is a dead ball when I would even think to use it in most situations.

Peace

JRutledge Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 726142)
Keep watching the guys doing varsity though. You will see alot of things you shouldn't do. But you will also see alot of things you should do. The key is to figure out the rights from the wrongs and what works for you.

Yep!!!

Peace

Rich Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargil (Post 726043)
I was watching a boys V game last night and saw the Official call "Over The Back" using the signal that imitates a player going over the back. I have seen this on at least 3 different occasions this year during a Varsity game. Does this bother anyone else other than me? To me it shows that the Official obviously must not attend clinics otherwise that would be corrected and his parters do not inform him of his error. Am I off base here or does this bother others also?

I've seen major conference men's D-I officials make the creeping death signal. I laugh, sure, but they keep on keeping on. It's not that important, except to other officials.

BillyMac Fri Feb 04, 2011 01:17pm

This Isn't A NFHS Signal ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 726120)
The Boris Karloff mechanic is probably the worst one out there.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...b537fa4c457db5