The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Partners Area

This has been a week of situations for me. Last night in the BV game I am in the Trail in the frontcourt. I do not have a closely guarded count and the dribbler moves along the key to my partners area in the slot/C. So I give up the dribbler to him. However, my partner is having some sort of conversation with the coach as he is tableside. I am still in the T as the Lead had not rotated yet. As I look throughout my area up top, I see A1 who still has the ball, fall to the court from what looked like a little contact, but nothing big time. The other coach of course wanted the travel but my partner who was right on top of the play did not have a whistle, and I didnt feel the need to reach across. But the reason my partner missed it was because his head was turned and whistle out of his mouth talking to the coach of the team who's player fell to the court with the ball.

The contact caused the player to fall to the court even though it was minimal. It would be one thing if my partner was focused in on the play and didn't have a whistle. But in this situation when he is totally out of it, is it one of the fine lines of should I reach or should I not? If I had reached I would have had the foul.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

HeLL No! Serves the coach right for talking to the "C" and taking his attention away from the play!
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Now that I re-read the post, you should have called a travel. That would have really pissed the coach off!
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Travel?????

You must not have seen that CHARGE!!!!!!
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

If you've turned the dribbler over to the C and refocused on people in your primary, you probably didn't get a great look at the bump. If you did, you really didn't turn the dribbler over to the C.

Tough one. If the dribbler is clearly on the other side of the floor in the frontcourt, I'm probably passing on this as I'm not looking through to the ball anyway.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

oops, could not have been a charge, the defender was "over-his-back!"

Sorry, coffee kicking in, Im done being a smart-asst.)))
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

If you partner never accepted the play you should have never given the ball handler up to him...if there was a travel and you know why your parnter didn't get it...you need to go get that travel "if you saw it."
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If I know my partner is otherwise "engaged" at the moment, I might expand a bit to cover the dribbler here.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Call the obvious.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If you've turned the dribbler over to the C and refocused on people in your primary, you probably didn't get a great look at the bump. If you did, you really didn't turn the dribbler over to the C.

Tough one. If the dribbler is clearly on the other side of the floor in the frontcourt, I'm probably passing on this as I'm not looking through to the ball anyway.
If I didn't have a matchup up top on the key I would have not been looking in that direction. As this matchup went down towards the free throw line that is when this situation happened. That matchup was between me and the dribbler who was now in my partners area. When that matchup moved down it cleared the sight into the situation being discussed before I could realign with my matchup again. If that makes sense.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
If you partner never accepted the play you should have never given the ball handler up to him...if there was a travel and you know why your parnter didn't get it...you need to go get that travel "if you saw it."
Well I see that as an area which could go either way. When the ball moved into his area he should have stopped conversating with the coach and picked up the play. I cannot babysit his area for him, he has to be responsible.

BUT I also see the side of if your partner is "busy" then help him out. If it had been a big contact situation then no doubt I would have been there.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Well, that's the key thing, isn't it -- if he really saw it.

It's hard for a center to "accept the play" with body language, isn't it? In a perfect world, the L would rotate over and the C would start backing out when convenient -- both acknowledging that the ball had changed sides and a rotation was taking place which, without a closely-guarded count means the new T is going to pick up the ball.

In the end, if I saw a bump from behind, I'd come in and get it -- I'm not going to leave my partner hanging. I'm just wondering if I'd get a good look at this. If I was the C, I think I'd probably stretch a bit on contact from behind because I'd have the better look through to get that, but again -- it's a hard thing to picture just from an IBB.

Moral of the story - don't turn your head to talk to a coach when the ball is in the front court.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

[quote=richmsn;725704

moral of the story - don't turn your head to talk to a coach when the ball is in the front court.[/quote]

+1
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Moral of the story - don't turn your head to talk to a coach when the ball is in the front court.

One might take it a step further & say - don't turn your head to talk to a coach during a live ball.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
One might take it a step further & say - don't turn your head to talk to a coach during a live ball.
Eh, I've been known to do it during a free throw where's there no rebounding action (first of 2, for example).