The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 02:32am
We don't rent pigs

The root of the problem

Thirdhand, but from what I consider a reliable source:

Recently, a local coach, unhappy with the results of a game, followed the officials into their locker room to voice his opinion. I don't know the details of the confrontation, but apparently the police ultimately intervened, the coach was led out, at least one account said in handcuffs, and released at his bus carrying a charge of disturbing the peace.

I asked about it at my rec games.

First words out of the mouth of the first account I heard: "Well, first of all, the officiating was horrible....."

On a local message board yesterday, a guy posted that their game was postponed due to the officials walkout. A second poster inquired about the incident: "Heard ya'll took a shalackin by the stripes and it kinda got out of hand. "

His answer: "I wasn't there but from what I heard the officiating was the pits."

Interesting spin. Our coach got arrested because the officiating was bad.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 07:17am
In Memoriam

it's even worse imo when you hear "I heard that another ref told our coach that the officiating was horrible except for him."
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

We had a game last week in our board where the coaches ( head and assistant ) of one team together had 5 "T"s both were ejected and refused to leave. ( 4th Q about 4 minutes to go ) Head coach also refused to sit down.

Not wanting to end the game the officials allowed the game to continue. About 2 minutes later they ended the game on a forfeit as the coach continued his behavior that lead to the "T"s.

I am not sure things are getting better. Last year we had 10 officials start their training and ended the season with just 2 new officials.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post

I am not sure things are getting better. Last year we had 10 officials start their training and ended the season with just 2 new officials.
Some guys can't handle the "abuse" and being new they will (1) make some mistakes that will irritate the coaches and (2) are uneasy about handing out Ts. I was that way when I first started - my first T was the hardest but once I saw that it worked, the others came easier. Still don't enjoy giving them but if they earn them I will give them.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
We had a game last week in our board where the coaches ( head and assistant ) of one team together had 5 "T"s both were ejected and refused to leave. ( 4th Q about 4 minutes to go ) Head coach also refused to sit down.

Not wanting to end the game the officials allowed the game to continue. About 2 minutes later they ended the game on a forfeit as the coach continued his behavior that lead to the "T"s.

It's happening all over. Not only are we losing the new officials every year, we also lose some older officials also that just don't want to deal with the continuous abuse any longer. Imo the local officials along with their governing bodies have to be proactive when dealing with abuse to their members. And the people that pay us have to realize that it's just not our problem, it's theirs also.

New officials very obviously have a lot to learn. And they will make mistakes while they are learning. Hell, all of us are still learning and will make mistakes every now and then too. But it's sad to run into some people that think that's just perfectly peachy-keen to try an gain an advantage for their team by intimidating new officials. Or weak officials. It's even worse when you hear crap like "the officials deserved what they got because they didn't do a very good job." Even poor officiating is no real excuse for the abuse that gets heaped on them.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:38am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
It's happening all over. Not only are we losing the new officials every year, we also lose some older officials also that just don't want to deal with the continuous abuse any longer.
So far, the abuse has not been bad in my experience and where it has, it has been handled swiftly. I am also not new to officiating and in general, I find the fan "abuse" to be pretty entertaining so perhaps I am better able to cope.

What has planted the seed in my mind to reconsider returning next year is the amount of games I've worked solo this season. I understand having to do it on occasion when something unusual happens but it seems to be the norm here that for the second half of the season, you will be lucky to have all four officials show up to a school to cover both gyms.

I'm trying to stick it out for a varsity schedule but I have a feeling it will be several years before I am working a predominantley varsity schedule. I loathe working by myself so much, I'm not sure how much longer I want to stick it out.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:55am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
it's even worse imo when you hear "I heard that another ref told our coach that the officiating was horrible except for him."
Very clever and very appropriate in this thread.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wow ... what part of MD r u in?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 09:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Very clever and very appropriate in this thread.
Yup, it was appropriate imo. It points out where some coaches actually do get the idea that the officiating they had really was the pits.

Think I should link the old thread that I'm referring to?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 09:12am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Yup, it was appropriate imo. It points out where some coaches actually do get the idea that the officiating they had really was the pits.

Think I should link the old thread that I'm referring to?
Do whatever you think is best. You usually do.

Lonesome Dove