The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

3 secs

in highschool basketball does the 3 sec count begin when the team is in the front court....can i 3 secs in the key apply to the either key??? does the rule book specify the ball needs to be in the front court and at under the offensive teams basket
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlu55 View Post
in highschool basketball does the 3 sec count begin when the team is in the front court....can i 3 secs in the key apply to the either key??? does the rule book specify the ball needs to be in the front court and at under the offensive teams basket
In the FC, and only when there's team control, and only at that team's basket.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 03:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlu55 View Post
1. Ball must be in team control in the FC.
2. Only the team in control is restricted.

Does this answer your questions? I'm not sure what you mean by "apply to either key?"
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

3 second count for offensive player in the lane begins once team advances the ball into front court. That count starts over every time there is a try for a goal (air-ball or not), on every time player fully exits the lane. If your count is at two and that player receives the ball most officials will suspend their count and allow player to go up for a shot or immediately dribble out.

Gotta love parents and coaches that will scream for 3 sec violation when multiple shot attempts are being made and players are in the lane attempting to rebound. Also, a youth basketball coach can count to three faster than anyone else on the planet.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 03:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
3 second count for offensive player in the lane begins once team advances the ball into front court. That count starts over every time there is a try for a goal (air-ball or not), on every time player fully exits the lane. If your count is at two and that player receives the ball most officials will suspend their count and allow player to go up for a shot or immediately dribble out.

Gotta love parents and coaches that will scream for 3 sec violation when multiple shot attempts are being made and players are in the lane attempting to rebound.
I'm going to pick on your words here, so forgive me.
It doesn't start over when the shot goes up. It terminates, only to begin again if an offensive player gets the rebound. The difference is subtle, but important. It could easily take three seconds between the shot release and rebound control.

Also, "most officials" suspend the count because the rule says an "allowance" shall be made for a player who dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal. Most interpret this as suspending the count. My only point is that this isn't just a local practice, it's the rule.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Pick away! You are absolutely correct. I was trying to keep it simple for him, but you're right.

As for suspending the count = rule, I should have just stated it that way, however I have had partners that will give 'em a 3 sec call for putting the ball down (dribble) before they go up.

Also by rule the offensive player has to exit the lane before returning, I interpret this to mean (similar to FC status BOTH feet and the ball), however 3 secs not always called this tightly. See offensive players straddling the lane, often gaining an advantage, but it seems to go overlooked. Thoughts on this?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you think he's gaining an advantage, feel free to call it. My experience, though, this player is usually on the back side of the lane (from the ball) and is no closer than if he simply moved his foot a few inches. No real advantage.

Now this part (advantage) is nowhere in the rule, but that's typically how 3 seconds is called.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three-second count during an interrupted dribble. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)