The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
End of game ejection

Final horn sounds, H35 leaps off bench and starts to celebrate first win of their season. He leaps and bounds across the court and bumps into V5. My partner steps in between the two to separate them, they exchange words that I do not hear and then they step up to each other with fists clenched. At this point, I blow my whistle and announce the ejection of the two players. Coaches are at each respective player and have pulled them to their bench area. As we sort out the issues, the AD from the V comes up and starts to plead her case to exercise discretion regarding the report to be filed. My question or doubt is if the response by my partner, (should have talked about it and then file an incident report, not an ejection report) or my immediate ejection of both players was warranted. My thought process was the confrontation was after the final horn, we had not left the visual confines of the court, issuing a T would carry not consequence; therefore an ejection seemed appropriate at time. Questions and feedback? Thanks.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Treat it as you would have treated it if it happened during the game. Was it flagrant, and thus an ejection? Or was it "just" a "standard" T?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
Final horn sounds
We are outta there!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:38pm
Back from the DL

Just to be clear, was H35's contact of V5 accidental, or was there targeting?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Don't call it a flagrant just so there are consequences. As bob insinutated, if you would call it a standard double T in the first quarter, go with that. If you would have gone flagrant with that action 1 minute in, go ahead. Don't change the ruling just so the consequences fit your sense of fairness.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 01:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Treat it as you would have treated it if it happened during the game. Was it flagrant, and thus an ejection? Or was it "just" a "standard" T?
+1

Common sense and following the rules.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

That's the thing, if this happens in the 1st quarter, am I ejecting. Well, hindsight, no, just a double T. However, H35 actions did not come off as incidental, more on lines of taunting. Then V5 reacted and then both squared up with closed fists. So now, I am leaning toward just a double T and if no consequences, then fine. I have to say that I reacted instead of being proactive; however, because my partner stepped in to separate, and then they continued to get closer and square up and clench fists I went with ejection.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
That's the thing, if this happens in the 1st quarter, am I ejecting. Well, hindsight, no, just a double T. However, H35 actions did not come off as incidental, more on lines of taunting. Then V5 reacted and then both squared up with closed fists. So now, I am leaning toward just a double T and if no consequences, then fine. I have to say that I reacted instead of being proactive; however, because my partner stepped in to separate, and then they continued to get closer and square up and clench fists I went with ejection.
I still would have gone with the double T. Maybe you could justify two double Ts here rather than a single Double Flagrant T.
Again, though, I wouldn't change my call simply because I wanted there to be some sort of repercussions. Call the double T and file your report to the state (even if it's only required for DQs).
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

The way officials RUN off the court when final horn sounds, I'm still trying to figure out why they saw this?

Best to exit opposite table...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
The way officials RUN off the court when final horn sounds, I'm still trying to figure out why they saw this?

Obviously true, but sometimes you have to run across the court to leave.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If you leave opposite the table, you might have to keep going for 25000 miles to get to the locker room. Seems like a steep price to pay.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you leave opposite the table, you might have to keep going for 25000 miles to get to the locker room. Seems like a steep price to pay.
I guess...

I request that my guys dont fiddle with the ball, wait for praise, shake anybodys hand or believe the winning team when they say "nice job!"
Lets just get out of there!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I guess...

I request that my guys dont fiddle with the ball, wait for praise, shake anybodys hand or believe the winning team when they say "nice job!"
Lets just get out of there!
Oh, I agree. You won't see me doing anything but making a bee line for the door. But I'm not going to ignore a brewing fight, either, if I practically have to trip over it to get out.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, I agree. You won't see me doing anything but making a bee line for the door. But I'm not going to ignore a brewing fight, either, if I practically have to trip over it to get out.
I can dig it!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yeah, I am one of those that will hold the door open for my partner after teh game...get out. However, this game site did not provide us with this opportunity. Our bags were behind the table and the only exit is behind the table. The player jumped right up and made contact within 3 seconds. We had to address the situation then and were stuck there.