The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 12:02pm
Jerry Blum

This is the first year that I will be officiating mainly a varsity schedule. I was just wondering what the requirments are for being selected to State tournament/District tournament games in the different areas.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Where I live in Alaska....The coaches vote on officials....the top vote get for each conference goes to the State.

AK ref SE
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 12:29pm
Esteemed Participant

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AK ref SE
[B]Where I live in Alaska....The coaches vote on officials....the top vote get for each conference goes to the State.

Are you serious??? Here in WA State, the coaches have no say in who goes to State...each local Assoc. is given berths to the different tourny's (5 boys classes and 5 girls classes) and the local assoc decides who goes - in my assoc it is done by rankings and board approval...we have a very complicated, but fair, rating system...we also have a 3 year sit rule - go to State 3 years and then sit a year... it's hard for me to see the logic in allowing the coaches to decide who goes to State...
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Here the top 15 ranked officials in our association get to go to districts and the top 6 get to go to state. Our rating system combines peer ratings and paid observer ratings. Coaches have no more input (I.E. none) than we do on their coaching performance. In our association, you have to sit out a year if you go to state two years in a row.

Z
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

RockyRoad-

Unfortunately, I am serious......the coaches get to pick the officials (good or Bad)

AK ref SE
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
This is the first year that I will be officiating mainly a varsity schedule. I was just wondering what the requirments are for being selected to State tournament/District tournament games in the different areas.
I think you need to ask people in your state. Illinois for example has one of the most dynamic requirements for post season games than any other state. It will take years here because of all the things that is required. You might live in a State where it only takes you 3 years to do the State Finals game (I have a officiating friend that met an official that did that game in his 3rd year of officiating). So you need to talk to the people in your state or tell us what state you live in and someone from that state might show you the requirements. But I would assume that information is not a secret and should be listed in the information of your state. But I think it might be safe to assume that someone in your state would have that information.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 01:50pm
Jerry Blum

I am from Missouri and I am working on finding out exactly what is required. I think that as long as I officaite 10 varsity boys or 10 varsity girls in a particular class I am eligible. As far as how the officials are selected for the games doesn't really bother me because like I said above it is my first year with a varsity schedule and I don't really expect to get any postseason games.

I was just curious as to the number of games that an official must officiate to be eligible for the postseason games in other states regardless of number of years officiated.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

IHSA Requirements

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
I am from Missouri and I am working on finding out exactly what is required. I think that as long as I officaite 10 varsity boys or 10 varsity girls in a particular class I am eligible. As far as how the officials are selected for the games doesn't really bother me because like I said above it is my first year with a varsity schedule and I don't really expect to get any postseason games.

I was just curious as to the number of games that an official must officiate to be eligible for the postseason games in other states regardless of number of years officiated.
Well in Illinois it is required that you do 10 games as well at the level you will get post season games at. We have two classes, Class A for small schools. Class AA for bigger schools. If you have done 10 Class A Boy's games for example you are elgible to do post season. But there are many other factors that play a big part in that equation. Official's Ranking, Top 15 lists, Coaches and Official's Ratings, Status with the State and many other things I cannot think of right now. But basically you cannot do 8 Girl's Class A games and be considered elgible to do the Class A Girl's post season.

Hope that helps a little.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

In Michigan, to be eligible, one must achieve a certain rating (by coaches) in varsity games over the past 3 years, attend a rules meeting, and work a schedule of at least 10 varsity games. From the eligible list, a committee of administrators selects the officials for each level of tournament play.

Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I wish in our area Southeast Alaska, they had something along the lines of the other states that have posted.... We have officials here that IF the took the test that particular year there name went on the ballot for the coaches to rank them 1-6. They may not have even called a game that year and could be picked to do post season play. Darn my luck last year, I took the test, Did the Christmas tourney, (which for us is the beginning of the season). I left town for 5 months because of my job, I received enough votes to qualify for post season and I was not even here..Go figure!

AK ref SE
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
I wish in our area Southeast Alaska, they had something along the lines of the other states that have posted.... We have officials here that IF the took the test that particular year there name went on the ballot for the coaches to rank them 1-6. They may not have even called a game that year and could be picked to do post season play. Darn my luck last year, I took the test, Did the Christmas tourney, (which for us is the beginning of the season). I left town for 5 months because of my job, I received enough votes to qualify for post season and I was not even here..Go figure!

AK ref SE
AK,

We have the same problem here. We have many college officials that do not do a single game at the level they are assigned playoff games during the regular season that year, but get them anyway. Unfortunately all you have to do is put down the number of games you are assigned for that year and the state may or may not check them. So some officials that are technically not "qualified" recieve them anyway because they have done them in the past and their name has been out there. But I do not know how that will be completely alleviated.

Peace