The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Time displays & last second shots

Since this is something I noticed in the video from the Oregon City historic loss, the scoreboard did not show tenths of a second.

How would you recommend to a school that they update their scoreboard to show tenths of a second?

For those scoreboards that don't show tenths of a second, how do you know it's 0.3 seconds or less for last second shot attempts?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
How would you recommend to a school that they update their scoreboard to show tenths of a second?

For those scoreboards that don't show tenths of a second, how do you know it's 0.3 seconds or less for last second shot attempts?

I wouldn't.

You don't.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I would make note of the model, locate the manufacturer, and phone them myself to see if such a feature can be implemented through a firmware upgrade, or flashing an EEPROM or something similar.

The school may be unaware of a simple and cheap way to upgrade their display.

If that feature can't be implemented easily, such as above, I doubt I would say anything to them.

Quote:
You don't.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Around here, most of the scoreboards are donations from one of the major vendors that the school uses(Pepsi is the main one) unless the school got a new one after being built.

The 0.3 seconds rule only applies when the clock displays tenths of a second.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I wouldn't.

You don't.
What JAR said

End of thread.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 05:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I'd probably run up to a school official before the game and say, '"Oh please Mr. Administrator and/or Mr. Principal, I beg you to update your scoreboard. Please. Please. Pretty please. I just can't call a perfect game without that updated scoreboard. It's just not fair to the kids. We are here for the kids right? I'll even pay more taxes, really I will. Put it on the next ballot during elections. I'll vote yes!"

Quote:
I just guess (swag).

Oh brother.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since this is something I noticed in the video from the Oregon City historic loss, the scoreboard did not show tenths of a second.

If it was that important to me, I'd dig into my pocket and pay for the new scoreboard. Otherwise, I'd STFU.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I strongly suspect the scoreboard is fine. The problem is with the console and whoever set it up that night. At a recent game, I noticed the scoreboard did not show 1/10s in the final minute of the JV game. As the varsity R, I wanted to have the 1/10s working so I spoke to the AD and to the timer between games, but they could not get it to work.

A few days later, I was at another school with the identical console and had the timer show me how to set the 1/10s. I sent the AD an email with the directions.