The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Handling technical foul situation

What would you do in this situation?

Both teams are playing for a championship game and during a timeout late in the game, when the official reports the timeout, behind him 2 player bump into each other (Player from white bumps into player from red) on the way to their benches). From my angle I could not tell if the action was purposeful or incidental, but it was during a dead ball period. I ran over to address the player from white and warn him or "t" him, but I was too late. The reaction of the player from the red team was to direct some words of retaliation to that player, so immediately my partner assesses a technical foul.

So I ran up to him to explain to him what happened and what caused the words (I did not get a specific account of what was said).

Would you just administer the technical foul on player red and ignore the dead ball bump from player from white?

Would you knowing all information assess a technical on both players?

Do you retract the technical foul on red knowing he was possibly provoked?

Although this was a Regional Tournament Intramural Championship, what would you do in your HS or college game if this happened to you?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge0263 View Post

Both teams are playing for a championship game and during a timeout late in the game, when the official reports the timeout, behind him 2 player bump into each other (Player from white bumps into player from red) on the way to their benches). From my angle I could not tell if the action was purposeful or incidental, but it was during a dead ball period. I ran over to address the player from white and warn him or "t" him, but I was too late. The reaction of the player from the red team was to direct some words of retaliation to that player, so immediately my partner assesses a technical foul.

So I ran up to him to explain to him what happened and what caused the words (I did not get a specific account of what was said).

Would you just administer the technical foul on player red and ignore the dead ball bump from player from white?

Although this was a Regional Tournament Intramural Championship, what would you do in your HS or college game if this happened to you?
T both.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently your partner was watching the play since they issued the T on red. That would lead me to believe they also witnessed the bump and was keeping an eye on the action.
Or at least that is information I would want from my partner. If the above was not the case than going with a Double T would not be unwarranted.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 10:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge0263 View Post

When I read your account of this play, I read that you saw the white player bump red and did not hear what red said to white, and your P heard what red said to white but did not see white bump red.

I think the right thing to do is to get together, find out why he T'd red, and then report to him that you saw white initiate contact, and wish to T his action, thereby making red's words retaliatory.

Final result is two T's: one for each.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 10:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would have given a T on both players likely or none if this was just an incident that could be managed or players basically walked away. Then again this is a HTBT situation.

Peace