The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 05, 2002, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
That kind of answer only serves to piss me off. I always say in reply, "You've done this forever? Then you only get the short version. . ." Grrrrrrrr

Chuck
Old Tue Nov 05, 2002, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Almost before I can say nice to meet you and there's a few things I would like to go over he has a answer ready.He says shut up put the whistle in your mouth and don't blow on it,walk over there throw the ball up and lets go!So I meekly went over and did what I was told.
Excuse me! Not being able to hear HOW he said it obviously can make a difference, but I can't think of any acceptable tone for a comment along those lines. They are part of the crew. Pretty sure the referee can have someone removed from the table (don't have my books with me at work). Considering those two things, that guy say that to me and he would get some along the lines of; "I'm sorry, but as referee of tonights game you are part of my crew. There are some things I'm going to review with the table personel. You will sit there, listen to what I have to say and treat me with the common courtesy that should be afforded any human being. If that is unacceptable to you, let me know that now so I can get someone to replace you. And don't tell me to shut up again. Do you have any questions before I continue?"

If this "man" really was an official with 30 years experience he would know how to conduct himself. Sounds more like a person with one year experience that has been repeated 29 times.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

I think I would have had him removed anyway. With that attitude, he could and probably would cause you grief for the whole game. Had a game last year where the R (3-person) had the home scorer removed for questioning every thing we reported. Turned out she was the coach's wife. She had a reputation as being "a know-it-all *itch".
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Just wanted to add in the years since I have learned how to deal with guys like him.The best way I have found is to play on their ego.I say something like I know you know this stuff cold but it helps me to go over it.Like Dbl said the table can cause you serious grief as the game goes on.We had another guy we had to get the local assoc.to get fixed because when you reported a foul against his home team and would visably shake his head like you made the worst call ever!By the way mister thirty years retired from all officiating yea.