View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

To BOTH the scorekeeper and clock operator I generally say:

"Please check to make sure you are in agreement in regards to point totals and foul totals after every basket and foul call."

"If there are any problems or confusion here, hit the horn at a dead ball and we'll come over and get it fixed."

"Please notify me immediately if a player gets their fifth foul."

"Please tell me immediately if you are requested to make any changes to numbers in the book."

"After a dead ball, one of us will always be chopping an arm to give you the start the clock signal." (I remind them of this again near the end of close ball games).

I also try not to get too dependent on my table. In other words, I go look at the book after each quarter and at each time-out near the end of a close game. I'm looking to see if any players are nearing their fifth foul, how many time-outs each team has left etc. (just general game awareness stuff).

One thing I like to do is spend a couple minutes before the game at the table smiling and being friendly. I want them to relax and know they are part of the officiating team and there is nothing we can't handle. Table crews seem to do better if they feel comfortable rather than stressed and if they think the officials are normal people instead of robots assigned to the game.

Z