The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

eye raked and hoodwinked

GV three whistle game. Very intense action when a frontcourt defender gets "eye raked" and goes to the floor. The contact was undetectable, though the reaction certainly was not, and no foul was called. Strangely, the defender was the guard on the ball 25 ft from the basket catching a fluke arm flail by the dribbler. When she went to the floor the dribbler backed away toward the centerline, so I hit the whistle. No coach was beckoned and after about 20 secs she was ready to play. Since no coach was beckoned, we were going to play on from the POI, but the opposing coach insisted she must come out due to the injury stoppage while his team had the ball. We discussed and agreed, but as I think about it now, we might have blown it by making her leave. Can't find a rule to cover our action. Methinks we were hoodwinked. What say ye?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Yup, you blew it.

Just because you choose to stop the game, doesn't mean a player HAS to leave.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
When she went to the floor the dribbler backed away toward the centerline, so I hit the whistle. No coach was beckoned and after about 20 secs she was ready to play. Since no coach was beckoned, we were going to play on from the POI, but the opposing coach insisted she must come out due to the injury stoppage while his team had the ball. We discussed and agreed, but as I think about it now, we might have blown it by making her leave. Can't find a rule to cover our action. Methinks we were hoodwinked. What say ye?
The RULING in case book play 3.3.6SitB covers it. If you can't find it in the rule book, always check out the case book next.

Yes, you had it wrong.