The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Allowing a game to end Prematurely

I had a rec game this past weekend where the losing team was behind by 18 pts and the winning team was simply passing the ball around with : 50 seconds left on the clock.

The losing coach then turned to me and stated that he would like the game stopped since there was no way he would come back and since the other team was simply passing the ball and 'not playing' he felt that it was best to 'call the game'.

I obliged him and the league representatives thought it was not a good idea and we should have played out the remaining time. Even if the losing team left the court.

I realize this was a rec-ball game, but I wanted to get opinions/rules on this in the event it would hold also for a H.S. game?

Thanks much in advance for the information.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 04:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

My former LA men's leagues would do this often: the players would usually want the game capped with ~ 20 seconds left. 50 seconds is a lot!

During a game at a recent men's league game, the players didn't want to finish the last 8 seconds or so, so they all just walked back to their bench and the ball stayed inbounds bouncing.

In rec ball, I guess I can see it happening. For HS, I doubt I will ever see it.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 5-5

Art. 3... A quarter(s) may be shortened in an emergency or at any time by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and referee. Playing time and number of quarters for nonvarsity game quarters may be reduced by mutual agreement of opposing coaches.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

IMO play it out.

With no shot clock the team with the lead can pass or dribble it around all they want. I find it more unsporting to teach kids that its okay to QUIT and walk away just because your losing. (Yes of course if both coaches agree I would be happy to head home early.)

Had a MS Boys game last night, final score 65-15. The losing team knew before tip off they were outmatched and yet played hard all the way to the final horn. Both sides did their best to keep it fun and emphasized good sportsmanship.

Everyone on winning team bench got a bucket including a kid who scored his first ever. They had to run a play for him half a dozen times before he got one to sink but he finally succeeded and both sides of the crowd erupted for him. As for the losing team even though they knew there was no winning this game, they still took pride in the handful of great plays they were able to make against a far superior opponent.

Last edited by NoFussRef; Fri Jan 28, 2011 at 04:53pm.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 05:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

As APG pointed out by quoting the actual rule, in your situation, go to the other coach and see if he agrees. If so, shut it down. If not, you've really no choice but to let the winning team finish their passing contest.

If, however, the losing team decides to cancel the game on their own and simply walk away, not much you can do but allow it to happen.

Real world in a rec game with 50 seconds left? I'd pull the plug on the game, too.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If, however, the losing team decides to cancel the game on their own and simply walk away, not much you can do but allow it to happen.
How about 10-5-5?

And you wouldn't happen to be available & willing to come up tonite, would ya? Lost my 3rd for a 5A BV 7pm. I'm the R but you can have the toss if you drive up. *fingers crossed*
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 05:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
How about 10-5-5?

And you wouldn't happen to be available & willing to come up tonite, would ya? Lost my 3rd for a 5A BV 7pm. I'm the R but you can have the toss if you drive up. *fingers crossed*
Yep, you can also use 10-1-5b, and RPP.

Now this is killing me. I'm still a few weeks of therapy away from being able to run.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Oh alrighty then... guess I need to get there early & give the more skilled official on the JV game his shot
It beats 2 person though!

Get well soon Snaqs!!
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the rules and the opinions on what should have been done in this situation.

It appears as if I should have also addressed the question to the Winning coach as well to at least have followed the rule. Of course afterwards the Winning coach wanted to keep playing b/c all of a sudden he had that one kid he wanted to get to score a bucket.

Lesson learned......in a scenario like this where the rule is followed, then no one gets to argue.

Thanks again....

Cheers !
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 03:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
I had a rec game this past weekend where the losing team was behind by 18 pts and the winning team was simply passing the ball around with : 50 seconds left on the clock.

The losing coach then turned to me and stated that he would like the game stopped since there was no way he would come back and since the other team was simply passing the ball and 'not playing' he felt that it was best to 'call the game'.

I obliged him and the league representatives thought it was not a good idea and we should have played out the remaining time. Even if the losing team left the court.

I realize this was a rec-ball game, but I wanted to get opinions/rules on this in the event it would hold also for a H.S. game?

Thanks much in advance for the information.
I would ignore the coach considering there's only 50 seconds left. I'd tell him "I'm not doing that, but nothing can stop you from taking a timeout and walking off the floor." But with 50 seconds left, I will not be a part of it.