The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

This play had absolutely no effect on a game, other than to make me look silly in the stands. 30 seconds to go in the 1st half of a high school girls playoff game, player waiting at the scorers table to enter the game. Her team swishes a shot, the net gets caught in the rim, a ref notices, and asks for the ball before othe other team can inbound. he tosses the ball up and fixes the net. So far, so good. Now, the other ref points to the scorer's table and intructs the sub to enter the game. I loudly say the that's not right, everyone looks at me, the coaches say nothing, play proceeds, everyone inches away from me in the stands. Is stopping play to untangle a net a legitimate time to let a sub in the game?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Dead ball....you bet
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Clock stopped, dead ball. Let the subs in. Whether the official should have blown the whistle to fix the net is another can o' worms.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In the situation you describe, it's no problem. If, however, it had been the last minute of the second half of an NCAA game, then you wouldn't let the sub in.

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
In the situation you describe, it's no problem. If, however, it had been the last minute of the second half of an NCAA game, then you wouldn't let the sub in.

Chuck

Hmmmm....are you sure? Not an inadvertent whistle...not an administrative error...is there a bulletin I don't know about?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Hmmmm....are you sure? Not an inadvertent whistle...not an administrative error...is there a bulletin I don't know about?
Well, I was sure until you replied. . . I thought that it was considered an inadvertant whistle, since the clock was already stopped anyway. But now that I'm thinking about it, that situation was a ball that bounced away from the inbounder. I would've thought that this would be handled the same way, but now you've got me wondering.

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I was sure until you replied. . . I thought that it was considered an inadvertant whistle, since the clock was already stopped anyway. But now that I'm thinking about it, that situation was a ball that bounced away from the inbounder. I would've thought that this would be handled the same way, but now you've got me wondering.

Chuck
Wait...now you've got me wondering. I thought a whistle to retrieve the ball after a basket in the last 59.9 seconds was a case where you let the subs in....I'll have to check me pre-season notes now.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Wait...now you've got me wondering. I thought a whistle to retrieve the ball after a basket in the last 59.9 seconds was a case where you let the subs in....I'll have to check me pre-season notes now.

Let 'em in if a whistle goes off.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, Mr. Jenkins. . . a little help?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, Mr. Jenkins. . . a little help?
Rule 3-4.6, BR-51.

Clarification that the only time substitutions are not allowed in the last 59.9 seconds is on a timer's mistake or an inadvertent whistle. If the whistle is blown for other reasons substitutions are allowed. Examples:

Clarification of a two- or three-point goal
Net getting caught up on basket
Correctable error
Book error (scorer forgets to inform official of player's fifth foul)
Injury, blood, disqualification

If a timeout is requested when play is stopped for a timer's mistake or an inadvertent whistle, substitutions will be allowed.

Play: Ball rolls past the bleachers on an open ended court during the last 59.9 seconds of the second half and the official blows the whistle.

Ruling: Official should deem this an inadvertent whistle and substitutions should not be allowed to enter the game. The clock is stopped. There is no need to blow the whistle.

(Emphasis added)
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, my bad. I was right about the ball rolling away (no subs), but wrong about fixing the net (let 'em in). Thanks Bob!!

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, my bad. I was right about the ball rolling away (no subs), but wrong about fixing the net (let 'em in). Thanks Bob!!

Chuck
Between the two of us we got them both right!

Good thing too, because without rules knowlede you cannot be a good official. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that all you need to be a good official is rules knowledge.

(Happy now?)
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck [/B][/QUOTE]

Good thing too, because without rules knowlede you cannot be a good official. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that all you need to be a good official is rules knowledge.

(Happy now?) [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm fairly new to the board. Doesn't one of your fellow contributors put a lot of stock in "Court Presence" along with some knowledge of the rules?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In fact, I'll go as far as to say that all you need to be a good official is rules knowledge.

(Happy now?)
I can't believe you did that!! Now let's just see if he finds it and uses it for the proof I've been asking for!

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NWRef
Chuck

(Happy now?) [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm fairly new to the board. Doesn't one of your fellow contributors put a lot of stock in "Court Presence" along with some knowledge of the rules? [/B][/QUOTE]

You might want to take a good look at this map before you wander out any further...