The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Mis Q

Tonight during a JV girls game (two whistle game) I was trail and my partner lead. There was a play at the baseline on my side of the floor. The ball is swatted from A1 hand by B1 and OOB on the baseline. My partner (lead his whistle) blows the whistle then makes eye contact with me and gives me the deer in the head lights look. I never blow my whistle or say anything but I give him a point to the baseline to help him in the direction the ball should be going. He then points the other direction. Crowd grumbles a little bit. He then blows his whistle and comes over to me saying "I didn't get a good look, what did you have." I let him know and he mad the right call and switched the direction.

My question is, should I have been vocal and came running in? should I not have pointed? Should I have just imediatly met with him to discuss it?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

If my partner gives me a "deer in the headlight" look asking for help, then I'm yelling whose ball it is and pointing in the correct direction. No need to get together.

The only time I'll get together with a partner is if he/she makes a call that I know is wrong. I'll go to him and offer him information and hope he changes his call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:48pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
Tonight during a JV girls game (two whistle game) I was trail and my partner lead. There was a play at the baseline on my side of the floor. The ball is swatted from A1 hand by B1 and OOB on the baseline. My partner (lead his whistle) blows the whistle then makes eye contact with me and gives me the deer in the head lights look. I never blow my whistle or say anything but I give him a point to the baseline to help him in the direction the ball should be going. He then points the other direction. Crowd grumbles a little bit. He then blows his whistle and comes over to me saying "I didn't get a good look, what did you have." I let him know and he mad the right call and switched the direction.

My question is, should I have been vocal and came running in? should I not have pointed? Should I have just imediatly met with him to discuss it?
How it's usually gone for me, is if I don't know, and it's in one of those "trouble spots", I'll look to my partner, and he'll either point, or start walking the other way.

If he doesn't know, he'll go thumbs up, indicating an AP throw in. Pregame this from now on. The only time I'll get together with my partner on an OOB call is if I have definite knowledge that my partner made the wrong call.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:49pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If my partner gives me a "deer in the headlight" look asking for help, then I'm yelling whose ball it is and pointing in the correct direction. No need to get together.

The only time I'll get together with a partner is if he/she makes a call that I know is wrong. I'll go to him and offer him information and hope he changes his call.
I swear I'm not sitting right next to APG.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Yes I do the same. But this time with me pointing and then him pointing the other direction led me to think I did something wrong. I think by what I'm gathering is I could have been vocal on top of the point to offer him the help. It just looks bad when officials point in two different directions. Hmmm maybe I just hesitated on my help a split second to long and he just guessed a direction while I was pointing???
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes I do the same. But this time with me pointing and then him pointing the other direction led me to think I did something wrong. I think by what I'm gathering is I could have been vocal on top of the point to offer him the help. It just looks bad when officials point in two different directions. Hmmm maybe I just hesitated on my help a split second to long and he just guessed a direction while I was pointing???
It didn't sound like you did anything wrong except maybe not being more vocal with the color. Still your partner was more in the "wrong."

The calling official asks for help on this play, we're going with his call or AP if he's not sure. Period. That's it...no guessing on his part at this point. You're right that it looks bad if he points opposite of you after he asked you for help.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's asking for help (although he could /should have verbalized it). That means he's basically turning the call over to you. So -- what would you do if this was your call? Would you make a little point? Head the other way? Nod your head in the correct direction? Or give a crisp, arm extended point with a verbal "white" (or whatever)?

Do the same thing here.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 08:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Another blasphemous moment here:

It would likely be a cold day in hell before we go with an AP on a play like this. I'm putting all the pieces of what I saw together and making the best call I can based on the evidence UNLESS I see absolutely nothing.

I filled in for the fourth quarter of a JV game the other day and my partner did a great job except for the ball that got knocked out of bounds where he went straight to an alternating possession. Didn't ask me for help, didn't hesitate, just put two thumbs in the air. At the time, the score was 65-19. If it was that close and he was that unsure, he could've found a way to give the possession to the team down by 46 points with 3 minutes left in the game (or he could've asked me for help) instead of coming up with a call that nobody expected.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

It's 'miscue'.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

If he's not sure, he can hit his whistle, put his hand up, kill the play and yell "help". This comes up every now and again in 3 person, why not in 2?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
If he's not sure, he can hit his whistle, put his hand up, kill the play and yell "help". This comes up every now and again in 3 person, why not in 2?
It happens more in 3-person, in my experience.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It's 'miscue'.
Heh. I was trying to figure out what that title meant.

It didn't seem to be a Mystery Question, so I was quite confused.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It's 'miscue'.
I took it as Miscellaneous Question.

Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

When my partners ask for help I (usually) blow my whistle and (always) vocalize the color and point.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 06:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From My Pregame ...

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal.
No need to come to me, just point. If you don't know, give me a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then
blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)